Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PVC VINYL WELDING SUGGESTIONS

Hello All
I am new to the forum and just trying to get some information on what type and power a laser would be needed to weld PVC vinyl.
The type vinyl thats is used in making small pool flotation blow up boats, ect.

I have no laser experiance and would like to start a learning curve, if anyone care to give some suggestions.

Thanks so much
Take care

Roadrambler

Switch

I don't think a laser would be a good choice for that.I'm guessing you need something to melt the PVC with , while lasers tend to vaporize a small spot and eventualy pierce through the material...

I counter your "Poly vinyl chloride vinyl" with "Automated teller machine machine" and "personal identification number number!"

Oh no, a redundand tautology?!?

@TS: There are special PVC welding machines one can buy or lease.
Maybe you shoud go to a hardware shop and ask in the tools section.

Welding it py laser would be possible, but I reckon it would be much more expensive, especially if you were to make such one machine yourself.

You'd need to do at least three things:

1. The area to be welded would need to be pressed in an optically transparent clamp. PVC tends to deform if unevenly heated.

2. The laser would have to be very high power 20 to 40 watts + --- not just for making the weld, but to be able to weld keeping #3, below, in mind...

3. You could not use a tightly focused beam - you'd probably want to have a beam that would be around 1/4" diameter to create a sufficiently wide joined area, and at the same time NOT cut through the material, but heat it sufficiently to melt both layers together.

Additionally, you would need different power settings for different optical properties (color, density, etc) of the materials you use. Black PVC for example would have different absorption characteristics than white - or clear - PVC, and would therefore require adjustable power.

All in all, you could possibly do all this, and possibly for under five or ten thousand dollars if you sourced parts carefully from eBay, etc. I'd recommend a 40W CW CO2 laser. 60W if you wanted to weld a few inches per second faster.

Or you could buy a vinyl sheet joiner for about $300... :) Or some good PVC glue for about $18.00.

Good luck, whatever you do! Have fun!

Dave

xanatos said:
You'd need to do at least three things:

1. The area to be welded would need to be pressed in an optically transparent clamp. PVC tends to deform if unevenly heated.

2. The laser would have to be very high power 20 to 40 watts + --- not just for making the weld, but to be able to weld keeping #3, below, in mind...

3. You could not use a tightly focused beam - you'd probably want to have a beam that would be around 1/4" diameter to create a sufficiently wide joined area, and at the same time NOT cut through the material, but heat it sufficiently to melt both layers together.

Additionally, you would need different power settings for different optical properties (color, density, etc) of the materials you use. Black PVC for example would have different absorption characteristics than white - or clear - PVC, and would therefore require adjustable power.

All in all, you could possibly do all this, and possibly for under five or ten thousand dollars if you sourced parts carefully from eBay, etc. I'd recommend a 40W CW CO2 laser. 60W if you wanted to weld a few inches per second faster.

Or you could buy a vinyl sheet joiner for about $300... :) Or some good PVC glue for about $18.00.

Good luck, whatever you do! Have fun!

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave! I know that many pvc items that are weld ed with laser.
I thought there was possibly be a cheaper method, but I guess if you need to do something special it will cost ya!

Take care
Neil