Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Purchasing crystal sets

Exerd

Where is a good place to find bonded crystal sets from?

I would like to replace the small ones found in 5mW pens with larger sets.

Asherz

I'm not too sure as to where you can find sets from, but I imagine they're expensive as they are often very small.

By larger sets, are you referring to the power the crystals can handle or the physical size? If you tell us what you need it for it would be easier to give advice.

There's not much point in upgrading crystal size if your looking for more power since you will also need a large IR pump diode. Unless it's an expensive 5mW laser (100$) they're is really no point to upgrading it and you'd be better off putting the money towards a new laser since the time and effort required to replace crystals is alot.

Exerd

It was just an idea to use a possibly more efficient crystal set and crank the pump diode up. I was told some of the sets that are in the cheapest of 5mW pointers are capable of 75mW or more with the pump turned up. I assumed if a cheap source of crystals was around, it would make more sense to replace the smaller crystals than to try to tune them.

I know it is easy to buy something, but I am interested in learning the 532nm laser system by spending time modifying it.

My advice to you is to buy a couple of True 5s from DX, and spend time with some epoxy, practicing realigning the OC and crystals sets. There was an old thread (the OP deleted all the info) about the True 5s, and their pump diode being taken to 299mA reasonably safely. Best of luck to you in your endeavors, it's not easy.

Asherz

Just remember to play with the polarity of the crystals when aligning them, by twisting them clock wise or anti clockwise, eventually you'll get some light out of it. They are very fiddly though :)

Exerd

So this far along in the game, we still don't have the 532nm laser under our control?

It just seems like we should be building our own 532nm lasers after years and years have gone by since they hit the market. We are still pot modding and fiddling with their dinky crystals. I'm sorry, but that is truly saddening!

Where is a good place to find bonded crystal sets from?

I would like to replace the small ones found in 5mW pens with larger sets.

I have one from an old 150mw pen. The crystal is about 1mm x 1mm and the brass mount is about 7.5mm round and 3mm deep.
PM if interested.

Doug