Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PS3 Diode

fOmey

Hey guys, I recently opened up an old fat ps3 which had been broken over the years... so I decided to rip out the diode.. I was successful in extracting it out of the drive..

Although my goal is to create 1W laser..

Im fairly new to the laser scene so please be patient with me..

Would this diode provide enough power when used with a Flexdrive set to 1000mA to pop ballons, tape etc. Will I truely have a 1W laser ?

Other info:

I extracted the diode from a KES-400a..

Thanks for your time guys.

Agian im sorry if these questions are really stupid, just looking to be educated.

from memory these are 405nm diodes, the 1:1 ratio you are referring to, and diodes that are capable of 1w are 445nm diodes, not from ps3's, and different color.

thats all the info i can provide sorry

Short answer: No.
The KES-400a sled contains a 5mW combination 405nm/650nm/780nm laser diode meant to read discs. The most you're going to get out of that diode is 10-20mW (if lucky) at around 50mA.

I do realize this is your first post, which is why I'm giving you this information. If you keep on asking these types of questions though, your reputation will be stacked upon a foundation of laziness. Try the search button next time, because not only will your questions be answered faster, but you will gain additional knowledge from the posts pertaining to the topic.

Anywho, welcome to the forum, and make sure you read, read, and read to build upon your knowledge of lasers to avoid asking questions that make you "look stupid" ;)

Jimmymcjimthejim

fOmey

Thank you for the swift responce guys, Ill take your advice.. although I did try searching but it got some what confusing along the lines..

Ill do a little research and attempt to find a 445nm diode for a reasonable price... Thanks agian guys.

You might want to see this thread for a build idea:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/photos-old-ps3-build-w-lm317-driver-56211.html

At the bottom of that thread there's also this link:

Blu-ray Reader Dissection by Leslie Wright and Sam Goldwasser - Main Page

which should be fairly straight forward to follow even for novices.
Although you might not be able to readily burn anything with the diode out of the old PS3, it will be a good place to test out your mettle in building out a laser.

-Scott

Don't those KES diodes make for nice 5mW Blu-ray pointers that are safe for the eyes, but because of a wavelength shift, seem a little brighter than others at the same output? Or was that a different sled?

Don't those KES diodes make for nice 5mW Blu-ray pointers that are safe for the eyes, but because of a wavelength shift, seem a little brighter than others at the same output? Or was that a different sled?

Not sure what you are referencing as it does not ring a bell for me but I will say that when a 405 nm laser is shone on white fluorescing surfaces the dot becomes whitish blue and much much brighter.

-Scott

No, I mean the wavelength, like it would be lower, like 407nm rather than 405nm. Not a huge difference, but slightly brighter at lower current levels than, say, a PHR-803T. I think Daguin mentioned something about that.