Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Protective / blocking materials? laser safety

Eh.. NO, this is not about DIY safety glasses, but yes it is about safety in general.

I built my laser + cnc, works with a DVD diode (not as strong as I would like to, engraves and cut only dark material). Just ordered some powerful lasers (IR) stated as "useful for burning", and one violet specially made to engrave wood. I understand certain safety materials block harmful radiation (the one that can blind you), but it's specific for certain wavelengths, so, that one is not guaranteed to block the radiation of other lasers.

I will modify my laser cnc to have at least TWO diff laser diodes
both with diff wavelengths, and I want to improve safety
googles? ok yes,
but, I would like to AVOID having the CNC having that bright light

I've seen some dark plastics (as in BLACK) blocking everything but they also block the view, some are way cool, designed as a part of a vacuum to remove the dust and fumes, but then again, it also blocks the view or progress of engraving. This might not be that important, if it works (engraves) then it's ok, period.

BUT the other thing is the bed. What's your advice on materials to use for the bed? if it is dark it will be burned easily, it will get damaged. If it is white or silver painted then it's better, but it will reflect too much light and brightness, and pretty sure will reflect radiation.

I thought... perhaps making the bed as a box, deep, and using transparent stuff, so the cutting laser will get to the bottom, providing no reflection (safer) and being transparent will get no damage, the burns will be on the bottom, replaceable sheets, wood, whatever.

Any thoughts?

What is the width and length span of the work area?
What is the weight of the heaviest object you will be cutting/etching?

What is the width and length span of the work area?
What is the weight of the heaviest object you will be cutting/etching?

The size is 13" x 18"
Max weight? perhaps 1.5lbs, that's for engraving wood

As for cutting, it will be 5mm maximum depth (the goal is to cut 2 sheets of foam at the same time)

Can you not just use a sheet of clear glass then?
People remove parasites from their aquariums by pointing lasers through the glass. The lasers beam passes right through the glass.

Can you not just use a sheet of clear glass then?
People remove parasites from their aquariums by pointing lasers through the glass. The lasers beam passes right through the glass.

thanks, that's what I was thinking actually, this way the laser will cut, reach the bed (the glass) and reach the bottom of the cnc not having any reflection to anyone. Sounds to me the safest way. Did some research and found multiple articles, one saying the darker the material, the less IR will reflect, but it would get burn in some way if gets any sort of effective focus of the laser.

So the transparent bed sounds as the solution