Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"Protect Your Home with Laserbeams!" help

I typically consider the source when choosing if the person deserves respect. What I have learned is that just because someone has been around for a long time does not mean they know what they are talking about. I do have it in me to be childish. I think we all do... I just can't believe the amount of flak I am taking over posting to an old thread.

I was doing research, looking for laser trip wire system designs and came across this thread. I wanted to add something to it, so I did... I mean, why am I having to defend myself over posting to an old thread? It seems that some of the members here are being childish too.

I am a professional, I apologize for acting childish, but I will not apologize for posting to an old thread.

Zeebit

All this could have been avoided if you had just made a new thread.

Jerry... That's 5 years, quickly learn how to add before insulting someone...

Jerry, yeah I am highly versed in mathematics. I'm a mechanical engineer. What degree do you have? I'm not a child, I don't use the word "noob" like children do. And even though I may be new to using lasers, I will program you under the table and do more with lasers than you can. Have a nice life old man!

I wasn't about the fact you posted in an old thread, although its not really appreciated here, but that you chose to insult Jerry. Writing "learn how to add" and belittling people isn't going to help you much here. What Jerry wrote, albeit a little coarsely, was not insulting. What you wrote was.

Many of us here are highly qualified and more so than you, so please don't forget that when when going off on a childish rant...:tsk:

Last edited:
Should a person:
1. Comment on a thread that is directly related to the comment.

2. Start a new thread, and reference the old thread that the comment was intended for.

Understand, I actually was commenting on things I read from the old thread. I was just searching the net for information about laser trip wire systems. I read the entire thread, and I had comments about it. It would make no sense to create a new thread, I would not have been able to speak my thoughts about the subject, and comment on what had already been said. I am perplexed... How is not ok to post to an old thread? Also, what constitutes a thread being old? A week, month, year, several years? For me, it was new information and I commented on it... Yes, I was not very professional and I would say I was a bit childish, but I was attacked by several members on this site for POSTING to a thread? Not cool.

I am sure that all of you know A LOT (way more than me) about lasers, but I think I would have a lot to add as well.

Jerry, is, from what I can gather. A smart, respected member of this forum. I am sure he is knowledgeable. But why would he treat someone like that? Why would he berate a new member just because they post to an old thread? To add to it, Jerry seems like he owns a laser component shop or online store. Why would he instantly loose a potential revenue stream by insulting someone who is part of his market base?

Anyway, I am sorry for the negative comments, and would still like to use this site as a source of information about all things related to lasers.

While information in a reply might be useful, it doesn't warrant resurfacing some age-old thread to post about it.

People don't seem to understand that raising an old thread is basically like starting a whole new thread. So why not just start a new thread instead of dragging up some some age-old content that was on page 10 for a reason? It's like responding to 4-year-old voice mail messages or something.

These old threads really need to be autolocked so that people don't resurrect them from the deep. I swear that this month has been far worse than others. Worse, many of the necroposts are completely useless "oh that's cool" type responses. That kind of idiocy should earn a temp-ban like they do on the Something Awful forums.

Can you provide a definition of old? That way, when I come across another thread, I can know if it is too old for me to post a reply/comment.

Can you provide a definition of old? That way, when I come across another thread, I can know if it is too old for me to post a reply/comment.

Overall, there are two main problems with necroposts: 1) people not realizing that they're replying to people in the past, well after interest has waned in the subject, or 2) their new reply is less about the original subject, and more about their own questions, solutions, accomplishments, etc. In both cases, a new thread (or no thread if the reply really isn't that useful) is a better solution so that things are kept relevant.

When to necro/bump a thread:

For stickies: generally doesn't matter, especially as they're already up top.

For sales/group buy threads: usually these aren't subject that matter too much for bumping when old. Still, if the thread is old, first try PMing the original author to see what is up. If you want to keep the thread in recent memory, bump the thread before the thread is old to keep it near the top. Don't bump sales threads that have completed or those that seem very dead; just PM the original person, or start a feeler thread or something. If the thread was a feeler, or an update has been long waiting, you can bump it, but usually you'd be doing that periodically at shorter intervals anyway. If it's 6-months later, the sale has probably died off.

For others: 6+ months is generally old, but if there is really good information directly related to the post, it could be fine for bumping with a new reply. 1-years old is old. Really, the main idea is whether your reply is still relevant/useful; a thread being old usually means it has lost its interest/relevancy to most people. For example, even for a not-so-old 2-3 months-old thread (measured from last reply), is it really worth a bump just to say "that's cool"? Probably not. I'm sure the kudos would've been relevant when the subject was brand new, but not 6-months after the fact just because you didn't see it at the time it was fresh. You could just rep the person, or PM him/her or something.

If you're answering an old question, just PM the person. After all, they'll be more apt to notice the PM rather than the post that they made long ago and everyone forgot about it (including the OP).

Also, is your reply specifically about the OP's topic, or is it more about what you have done, or what you are asking? If the latter, a new thread would be better to make a clean break with your info and questions; just refer to the old one if you need to give people background information.

Your post above was more about what you had figured out and done; it's not that helpful for people who were investigating this subject 4.5 years ago. Even if some people think the subject is interesting, starting a new thread with that information, referring to the old, and maybe posting some other info about your project would be a better idea. You can even just start a new interest thread on the same subject with some points/questions you're interested in, not just tag it to the end of an old thread.

This was very educational. Thanks for taking the time to lay it out for me. I also like your logic.

THANKS!