Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Prop Laser Pistol - Fallout "AEP7"

I built a thing - 3D printed from models found here, it's a functional prop laser pistol from the Fallout Series, specifically "Fallout 3" and "Fallout: New Vegas".

It has a no-brand "200mw" red laser module purchased from Banggood a few months ago with a linear driver PCB (oddly marked Sanwu?). I don't own an LPM yet, but the listing was marked 200mw, and it's plausible given how bright it is. The driver is powered by 3 AA batteries - which are replaceable in the same way that the gun is reloaded in the games. I would power it from a single Li-Ion cell by choice - but keeping the same design of energy cell as the games felt right to me.

This is nothing new - i'm sure people have taken these models and stuffed a laser module in the end (there's no shortage of space inside) but I thought I might as well share it here before it clutters up my desk at work :)

Attachments

• IMG_20181002_234458.jpg
    IMG_20181002_234458.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20181002_235106.jpg
    IMG_20181002_235106.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20181002_235948.jpg
    IMG_20181002_235948.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 47

Very cool Immo. I have wielded (virtually) one of those before!
It looks like the beam comes from the left side instead of the front end. Is that true? I

It looks like the beam comes from the left side instead of the front end. Is that true? I

Afraid that's not the beam you're seeing there - just a stray bit of lens-flare from my camera :) The beam comes out of the front end as it should. I should get some smoke for beam shots in the future...

Wow, that is a large gun for such a low power laser. It likely uses the Mits 660nm diode. I can't remember the number for it off the top of my head, but they are very inexpensive. I still have five in my stock that will sit there until I die as I bought ten of them years ago and have exhausted all my interest in them now. If this is a replica of some scifi gun I can see the appeal. Did the module you bought have enough heat sinking that the diode doesn't overheat, presuming you are actually getting 200 mW out? I would convert it to take a single Li-ion battery as you will be feeding it AAs if you continue to use it.

Afraid that's not the beam you're seeing there - just a stray bit of lens-flare from my camera :) The beam comes out of the front end as it should. I should get some smoke for beam shots in the future...

Ah! I see. That makes sense. I echo Paul's question on heatsinking. What is the replica made out of? I likely would have wanted to put a more visible 635 nm red in it.

Durge

Nice lookin gun, its huge haha. Even though its not the most efficient powersource, it is nice to see how the batteries mimick shells. Nice work Immo(y)

Yep - it's definitely too big a shell for what's inside, but I wanted to keep costs low, and I already had the module. There's space inside for huge heat-sink if I wanted, but it's currently just sitting in a small aluminium sink designed for Aixiz modules. I don't really run it for long, but I'm aware of heat issues.

If I were to redo this project, I'd definitely scale it so it were smaller, but it took 37h total time on my 3D printer to make all the parts - so I won't be repeating that too soon :) Material is Black PLA (painted ofc) as it's what I had on hand. The full model uses about 6-700g of plastic.

I might print another "energy cell" with two dummy cells (wired through) and a 14500 in the middle, so it can run with 3 series AAs or just the 1 Li-ion cell. Ta for the idea!

Yep - it's definitely too big a shell for what's inside, but I wanted to keep costs low, and I already had the module. There's space inside for huge heat-sink if I wanted, but it's currently just sitting in a small aluminium sink designed for Aixiz modules. I don't really run it for long, but I'm aware of heat issues.

If I were to redo this project, I'd definitely scale it so it were smaller, but it took 37h total time on my 3D printer to make all the parts - so I won't be repeating that too soon :) Material is Black PLA (painted ofc) as it's what I had on hand. The full model uses about 6-700g of plastic.

I might print another "energy cell" with two dummy cells (wired through) and a 14500 in the middle, so it can run with 3 series AAs or just the 1 Li-ion cell. Ta for the idea!
I'd love to see this with a big heatsink and 1Watt 635 nm for better visibility. That would require LiION for sure.

How about using three 14500's in parallel? You could still maintain the look but increase your capacity.

Kudos on a job well done, that is a sweet piece! I love the Fallout series. I've got a good buddy that needs to see this, he has always loved the laser pistol.