Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Problems with the Sanwu Saber 5W 470

DmitriRad

Hello all, early this month I ordered the laser in the title, something I've been dreaming of for years. I already have a 80mW 480 Guardian from them and love it dearly, and have nothing but good things to say about that purchase. It's easily my favorite laser, being in probably my favorite color, and the white copper is beautiful.

I received my laser host, BE, etc. 1.5 weeks ago, and a few days ago received my batteries. They turned out to be 26650s rather than the 21700s that power this laser, so I sent them an email yesterday, to which I've received no response as of yet. I'm leaving for a very long trip soon, and impulsively paid for 1-day shipping from Nitecore to get a 21700 battery so I could finally see my laser before I left. Fast-forward to now, I have that battery (Nitecore NL2142LTP) and it just so happens to be the shortest 21700 they sell at 74.5mm*.

It doesn't fit. Not even close. I can barely squeeze the tailcap to get the threads to bite, and any amount of force trying to tighten it results in a small indent on the negative terminal of the battery, and goes no further.

THE LASER ALSO TURNS ON WHILE THIS IS HAPPENING. Without a press of the button on the tailcap, it emits a schizophrenic strobe that varies in power and time between beams. This is incredibly unsafe, so I didn't try further. The button does not work while this is happening. Thank goodness I had the laser specifically pointed at my black curtains while inserting batteries, like I commonly do.

I'm incredibly disappointed that Sanwu does not machine their lasers with a margin of error to fit all 21700 batteries in this Saber host. It seems to me that only unprotected junk batteries will fit in this host, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I usually buy all my batteries from Nitecore, and have always had amazing experiences with them. I just don't want to use unsafe batteries with a shelf life of 2 years in my $500 laser.

None of my other lasers have this problem. My Jetlasers PL-E Mini is probably the most forgiving, able to use 18350s as well as 16340s, of a variety of sizes. My other Sanwu laser uses protected Nitecore batteries... So I just can't wrap my head around why this host can't.

Regardless, I have no time to order more batteries for this laser, and Sanwu definitely won't ship the correct ones to me in time, so I will likely get to see my laser in a month and a half, and post an updated review then.

*Incredibly stupid to me in its own right. The battery number should correspond to its size, 21mm x 70 mm. All of their batteries are around 75, with some as large as 80, which is about standard from what I can tell.

Sounds like a battery problem not a laser problem. I never use protected batteries for this exact reason, they are bigger. Heck even button top versions of the same size flat top batteries are bigger.

Projected batteries are best for low power devices that see lots of use where you may lose track of battery usage and don’t want to risk over discharging the cell. Unprotected batteries are best for high drain devices like a 5W laser, where it’s used intermittent and you’ll want nearly fully charged batteries for the most laser power.

GSS

Have you tried using a temporary 18650 with a tube of some type?
Any vape shops near you to buy a new battery?

Use 18650's or whatever dia. fits and wrap them in a paper tube, it's easy and eliminates battery rattle.

The numbers demote the width and length.

18650 is 18mm wide and 65.0mm long..... note the decimal point between the 4th and 5th digits.

As mentioned, you usually have some wiggle-room in some hosts.
I don't know how the Sanwu Spiker is build, and what amount of thread you have around either the pill or the tail-cap that you can align to cater for battery length.

Had a 1.6w 524.2nm in a spring-fitted host with no dedicated tailcap / switch, as it parted ways at the middle...
Didn't have any high drain IMR 21700 cells as they were not that common back then, so to circumvent the length difference from VTC4 (18)650mm to match the length of (21)700mm I took a plain nut and flooded it in solder, so it acted as an active spacer.
for the width I used plain printer paper.. it worked fine.. I checked the resistance for host + spacer, with a milliohm meter..

- the small nut at the top left.

Last edited:

Ricker

As mentioned, you usually have some wiggle-room in some hosts.
I don't know how the Sanwu Spiker is build, and what amount of thread you have around either the pill or the tail-cap that you can align to cater for battery length.

Had a 1.6w 524.2nm in a spring-fitted host with no dedicated tailcap or switch, as it parted ways at the middle...
Didn't have any high drain IMR 21700 cells as they were not that common back then, so to circumvent the length difference from VTC4 (18)650mm to match the length of (21)700mm I took a plain nut and flooded it in solder, so it acted as an active spacer.
for the width I used plain printer paper.. it worked fine.. I checked the resistance for host a+ spacer, with a milliohm meter..

- the small nut at the top left.

I love that "tripod"!