Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Powering up disruptors captain.......

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
I hadn't realized this technology had become this advanced. These folks are proposing using millimeter wave masers (gyrotrons) in the many megawatts class to drill 10s of miles deep to harvest geothermal heat for power generation. A quick trip to wikipedia to refresh myself on what exactly a gyrotron is tells me that we have apparently developed 'disruptor' technology, or close enough to it to fool a Klingon.

Gyrotrons put out a coherent beam of millimeter wave radio energy with power outputs up to....many megawatts. Pretty interesting stuph.

julianthedragon

Wow thanks for the infographic. This is really cool, it says the gyrotron wavelength will vaporize rock below while passing right through the particle clouds that it generates during the process, minimizing diffusion.

Went ahead and checked out the company's main website (quaise.energy) too out of interest and they make geothermal sound like a really promising way to get renewable clean energy