Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Powering Driver With Very High Amp Battery..

BrilliantLasers

First off, forgive my ignorance, I am a newb. I've been scratching my head over an issue I am having. How do you limit very high current from say a 12v lead acid battery to protect a driver? I hooked up a driver that was rated for 36v and is supposed to regulate current, but the driver popped hooked to a 12v lead acid even though there was nothing even hooked up to the output. The driver worked fine with 2, 18650 lithiums in series though. Some things I've worked with in the past like 'inverters' don't give a damn what current is going into them.

So how do I go about limiting high current? I was under the impression most drivers are built to use only the current they need?

Hey @BrilliantLasers! Noob and newbie here too, but from the very little things i know is that current being drawned depends on the load... But i also think that most driver warn you to not connect to source without a load on them...

First off, forgive my ignorance, I am a newb. I've been scratching my head over an issue I am having. How do you limit very high current from say a 12v lead acid battery to protect a driver? I hooked up a driver that was rated for 36v and is supposed to regulate current, but the driver popped hooked to a 12v lead acid even though there was nothing even hooked up to the output. The driver worked fine with 2, 18650 lithiums in series though. Some things I've worked with in the past like 'inverters' don't give a damn what current is going into them.

So how do I go about limiting high current? I was under the impression most drivers are built to use only the current they need?

That's not how it works, I assume you were using one of those Chinese dc to dc buck/boots units ?

Yes the driver will draw the current it needs based on your load and /or your pot settings, some of the Chinese dc to dc buck/boost units give you a pot to limit voltage and a pot to limit current but they can spike at start up so unless you know what your doing they are not recommended for laser diodes.

BrilliantLasers

That's not how it works, I assume you were using one of those Chinese dc to dc buck/boots units ?
Yes, and it 'regulates current'. Only seems to regulate output, and hooking up a high current source cause a massive surge to the unit. Any easy way to hack this?

The driver is going to regulate output not input.
What laser diode are you attempting to drive ?

BrilliantLasers

The driver is going to regulate output not input.
What laser diode are you attempting to drive

It's the nubm31 95 watt. This is what I am using for a driver, it's supposed to handle 600 watts.. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00C498MGY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using my power supply I can only output 28v 5 amps which I am stepping up to 75+volts.(Which this level is still the strongest laser I've worked with) So I figured I would hook up a 12v battery to it. Fuse blew, but the board is still fine. Ps, the output current control on this is super funky, but works well enough.

Anthony P

In product description it states that at 12v input, max output is 120 watts... so at 75v out, max amp out would be 1.6. Also, dummy load is necessary for testing and adjustment.

BrilliantLasers

In product description it states that at 12v input, max output is 120 watts... so at 75v out, max amp out would be 1.6. Also, dummy load is necessary for testing and adjustment.
I do get that, I was going to put 2 - 12v batteries in series. The problem is not with the output though, the damn thing simply cannot even receive a high amp input without exploding.

What is exploding exactly? Also I must ask if you know how to hook up the correct polarity.

Last edited: