Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Powering CNI 500-800mW modules?

Exerd

I am currently attempting to get a good quality module installed inside of a Fenix TA30 host. I have the host mostly apart, and it appeared that the CNI module would fit OK with a machined sink inside.

So, I was about to order a large module though CNI last night (a PGL-H-532), and when I mentioned what I was doing, she told me that I cannot power the module off of a 18650 battery with driver. It was late so I had to cut it short and get to bed, but I was hoping someone here could explain to me what she may have been trying to say.

Is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to use one of the 500-800mW models with an 18650? They show two drivers in the PDF, a 3.0V and 5.0V. http://www.cnilaser.com/PDF/PGL-H-532.pdf Did I simply misunderstand what she was telling me, or can these really not be run from a battery?

I went ahead and ordered a 400mW O-like module just to get something heading my way, but I will still purchase a CNI 500mW module if I can battery power the thing (and I'm not sure why a batt wouldn't work).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Hey , I was going to get a blue one of these , but yes you could run it from batteries but they would need to be 3 Volts as thats what the driver needs :) , i dont think these modules have collamination , as the blue didnt but the green may have , The batteries you may want to use produce over 3 volts whcih will damage the driver you need 3 volts at enoght current to run the laser / driver , but they may not be sutible to run of a battery , not sure why they wouldnt though ?

Last edited:

Exerd

Hey , I was going to get a blue one of these , but yes you could run it from batteries but they would need to be 3 Volts as thats what the driver needs :) , i dont think these modules have collamination , as the blue didnt but the green may have , The batteries you may want to use produce over 3 volts whcih will damage the driver you need 3 volts at enoght current to run the laser / driver

OK, well what about the 5V driver they list? Could an 18650 be used with it? It was hard getting this explained by her.

Also, are there batteries similar in size to an 18650 at 3V charged? The tube is long, intended for three CR123s, and I have plenty of room in there. So I could even use two 1.5V batts of decent size. I'll ask her if the module has collimation. That's a must...

Exerd

The 18650 c/b less than enough V to power the 5V module, sorry. -GH

So, what it comes down to is that I need to use two 1.5V batteries in series to power the 3V driver it appears.

Any suggestions which batts fit the bill best? The batt tube can be machined to accept batteries as large in diameter as 18650s.

Thanks