Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

powerful IR lasers?

nagami

Loving this thread! sub'd
o.png

If you want a 1 to two watt ready to play IR laser pointer, take a look at these:

https://www.jetlasers.org/18-780nm-1064nm

Caution though, a high power IR laser isn't where I'd start, you can punch holes with a high power NUBM44 blue laser diode, when focused to a small spot quicker than a 1 watt IR diode. (E: but what am I saying, that isn't a good one to start with either!).

Last edited:
You beat me to it. I was going to a 7 watt blue laser is not a good laser to start with either.

Yea, better not to play with lasers at all if I were to give 100% proper advice, they aren't toys! Oh, wait, how can I justify what I'm doing if not playing?

It's like playing with a steak knife, if you are around people it's a bad idea, but if you are in your workshop and wearing gloves then play away, the point is to always protect others and yourself, and if you do take a risk to yourself then make sure you never create a risk/hazard that could hurt others, hurting yourself is stupid, hurting others is criminal.

JimK

This reminds me of a person I once knew that made an IR laser just as a party trick to pop balloons without anyone knowing who or how.

That person is dead now. The partygoers killed him because they went blind.

Jokes aside i think what you should do to fulfill your fantasy is this.
>Buy a styrofoam ball.
>Cut out hole for 532nm laser (200-700mw).
>Shove in the internals and make a battery hole.
>Paint the ball grey and add black markings like in A New Hope.
>???
>Deathstar 3.0

Then you can show it off to everyone here on how you built a thats-no-moon.