Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Power Supply for 8.5" HeNe

Roam

Hi guys!

I am having a lot of trouble finding the correct power supply for this laser. It's a uniphase 8.5" red HeNe tube as seen in the pic below. According to the seller the operating current is 6.5 mA and the operating voltage is 1300 V (and maximum starting voltage is 10 KV DC).

20130207122239.jpg

Does anybody know of a suitable power supply for this laser?

I do have the following Melles Griot power supply (link). It does provide the 6.5 mA, but the output voltage range is 2300 to 2900 VDC, which is well above the operating voltage of the tube. I don't know if this power supply will operate reliably so much lower than the given specs. My tube only requires 1300 V (and I assume this is the upper limit). I really don't want to ruin the tube or the power supply...

What should I do? Are there any cheap brick style power supplies that would do the trick? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Looking at the jdsu catalogue this tube is probably a type 1022.

Last edited:

I can confirm these shorter tubes use the 1200-1400 volt power supplies. The longer 12 to 18 inch HeNe tubes use the 2100+ volt power supplies.

Cheap used power supplies are in short supply, because the HeNe tube often outlives the power supply.

Merdith Instruments has a few models, new, that are suitable for this size tube. They also sell them on eBay as mi-lasers, as your eBay link suggests:
Meredith Instruments : 12 VDC HeNe Laser Power Supply for 9 to 16 heads [E-21] - $125.00 - The source for laser surplus
Meredith Instruments : 24 VDC HeNe Laser Power Supply for 9 to 16 Heads [F-22] - $125.00 - The source for laser surplus
Meredith Instruments : AC HeNe Laser Power Supply for 9 to 16 Heads [DG-22] - $149.00 - The source for laser surplus

If you are patient, you can find them on eBay for a reasonable cost. I recommend looking for listings that say they've actually tested the power supply.

If you do find a supply of reasonable used power supplies, send me a PM, I need one or two.

Edit: If you don't already have them, MI sells the c-clips that clamp on to the ends of the tube, and you may need to the pigtail and Alden connector to connect with the power supply:

Meredith Instruments : Male Alden Connector with Flying Leads [ALDEN-MFLY] - $18.00 - The source for laser surplus

Attachments

• IMG_4501.JPG
    IMG_4501.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

Roam

But those power supplies are listed as having a lower limit of 1900 V. So if I use it on my laser then they are operating at ~30% less. Is that okay with the tube and the psu? :thinking:

This other one also from MI is closer to my budget (but still ~20% less than the actual specs) :

Meredith Instruments : 12 VDC HeNe Power Supply (used) for 7 to 12 Head [LPM-830-065] - $75.00 - The source for laser surplus

Yes I have already purchased those accessories from MI a few years ago. The problem is the actual power supply. Frankly, for the past 2 years I kept checking back periodically on ebay but I haven't come across anything suitable yet.

You are SO right. My apologies. I feel stupid. Those are all wrong. I just looked on a power supply I have for those shorter tubes, and it clearly reads 1450 VDC @ 4-6 mA. I'm sorry to mislead you. I need some of the power supplies for the longer tubes, like those I provided links to? It was a total Freudian slip. I did not mean to mislead you.

IMG_4506_zpsee51036b.jpg

Last edited:

Roam

That's a good link but there is not much info on the specification of individual power supplies. :thinking:

This is a good one but it only works for the 6" tubes, if you look at the current and voltage rating.

The seller doesn't ship to the southern hemisphere where I live. And the current rating is 5 mA and I need 6.5 ... so I don't know if it would work.

It doesn't say how much current it provides.

Sadly the current is too small (4 mA).