Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Power out put

johnp

Hello, I don't know anything about laser pointers so I have a question.

My very elderly parents have a camera over their front door for security and to see who's at the door.

Yesterday, some guys who were old enough to know better were caught shining a pointer at the camera.

No damage was caused, but then I wondered what level of laser would cause damage if at all ? Is this possible ?

I have one which says it's 1mw I assume that's common.

I must admit I hate surveillence cameras being nosey myself, but this is not that situation at all.

Thanks. John.

Last edited:

It depends on the lenses used on the camera, really.

IIRC 1mW is the legal limit in the UK and in Australia. I've seen cameras ruined with a 5mW pointer here in the states though.

I would guess that if someone wanted to commit to property damage and a host of other charges, a 100mW pointer focused properly would be able to shut down most cameras, probably not before they were able to get their identity recorded though. I do not recommend it at all to anyone though.

johnp

Thanks for the info.
It looks like they'd need a much more powerfull pointer and I can't see them turning up again with something like a 500mw.
John.

Last edited:
Of course the farther away the laser is from the camera the more power it will require to do damage.

The only way to find out would be to test this, other wise I would say from across the street it's going to take sever hundred mW's to mess up the camera, this is just a guess.

I must admit I hate surveillence cameras being nosey myself, but this is not that situation at all.

Thanks. John.

Sounds to me like you're fishing for info to take out cameras. You wouldnt be the first, and I'm sure you're not going to be the last.

johnp

With respect, If you mean I am looking for info 'to take out cameras' myself, this is not the case.
I mentioned that I dislike cameras being nosey, firstly because I do and also during the incident I described, childish comments were made suggesting that the camera was being used for 'spying' - which it isn't.
Anyway, it is unlikely that the individuals concerned have anything good enough to cause damage from what I have been told now.
Thanks. John.