Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

possible to test initial power with LaserBee LPM

I just bought a Laserbee 2.5W LPM,
Here is a graph of my Work-in-progress laser

I did manage to hit the "magical" 2W :D
But I am wondering what power my laser is outputing initialy.

If I were to point 2 of my lasers at the LPM, turn on my weaker ~1.2W, and let the lpm "warm up" until it shows 1.2W, then quickly turn my powerful laser on and weaker laser off

Would that allow me to get closer to an initial reading? or would That throw off the results somehow?

Toke

It sounds like you are mistaking the initial reading for initial laser output.

The meter works on the temperature difference between the sensor and the cooling plate it is mounted on, it will take some time for the laser to heat the mass of the sensor and show true power.

Your 445nm laser does not have any "initial" output, diodes are just on/off.
It is different for 532nm where the crystal setup have to reach operating temperature.
(Or overheat, or not quite reach it, depending on laser.)

As a LD heats up the power output drops.

It takes my LPM 30 seconds to register the actual power my laser is outputing, during that 30 seconds my ld is warming up and outputing less power.

I am wondering what my diode is outputing before it heats up at all.

If I were to point 2 of my lasers at the LPM, turn on my weaker ~1.2W, and let the lpm "warm up" until it shows 1.2W, then quickly turn my powerful laser on and weaker laser off

Would that allow me to get closer to an initial reading? or would That throw off the results somehow?

Me and a few other people were talking about the same thing recently and we came to the conclusion that you can "prime" the LPM with another laser and then turn on the laser you actually want to test that way you get a better idea of your initial power output.