Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Possible hoax laser, lots of cringe

Durge

I know this is going to make everyone cringe, from the title of the video to the content. However, I'm willing to accept the backlash for posting this foul cancer in lui of the fact that this video has so few views, 0 comments, and I was unable to find any threads about it on the forum.

Clearly, the guy is being an absolute fool for lighting such a fire on that clipboard indoors; you even see embers fall onto the wooden chair. Some of his other videos show him using a gas laser to pop balloons, while his female guest sits on the couch lacking eye protection. I don't condone any of this guys actions and wanted to get this out of the way to begin with.

Now, I'm wondering about the legitimacy of the video. I don't sense a whole lot of video manipulation, but there could be a subtle jump cut the moment the laser is turned on (I saw somewhat of a delayed reaction, but that could be normal). You also see lots of divergent green speckle around the area that is being burnt. Another thing I've considered is that if that green laser were as strong as suggested, it would flood the room with green light, especially when being bounced off of a white peice of paper like that. My hunch is that the green laser is a few mw greenie for show, and the actual fire starter is an invisible IR beam coming maybe from behind the scenes? This is assuming the whole thing isn't a hoax to begin with. No 40w handheld greens exist like what is attempting to be depicted here. The host itself is so rag tag, covered in electrical tape and misc wires, it's screaming hoax. Also, where would the heatsinking be for such a device? There's no way to discipate heat here. My guess is weak green handheld for show + powerful IR behind the scenes. Any thoughts?

Yes that's BS, he has a CO2 laser off to his right rear I would bet.

You can tell that's a 5 dollar 501 type 532nm laser and you can see it on the paper around 5 1/2 seconds if you step through just before the ir laser lights it, you can see at 0:05 how weak the green spot is.

BTW there is a YT video thread that you can post in. :)

More from him:

Last edited:
Where to begin LOL
Maybe he has it dialed down to around 3 or 4 watts because you are right. At 40 watts the beam would be very visible. The ignition speed on white paper is very quick so there could be a large amount of IR present either from the laser showing or a second laser off screen.
40 watts for 30 seconds with that size laser? I agree and feel that it would cause imense over heating. Especially with how much of the external metal surface is covered with tape.
I have used a 1890mW 532nm hand held laser and the beam is incredibly visible.

There is no way that is a 40 watt green laser. At that power it would saturate the camera. In fact, I'm wondering why it doesn't saturate the camera if it is powerful enough to set the white paper on fire and leave a burned mark deep in the wood behind it. I have two green laser over 1 watt and they both are very bright.

Durge

BTW there is a YT video thread that you can post in. :)

I could have sworn there was a dedicated youtube thread but couldn't find it at the time. Thank you for letting me know, I'll make sure to post there in the future!

Giant fake. CO2 laser aimed where a weak sauce green is pointing. The POP as the paper ignites indicates serious power...
My 966mw and 1243mw 520nm green lasers produce an epic beam and the dot colors the entire room brightly.
Even in the daytime...big time beam action. @1 watt of 520nm. Comical fake. Nice CO2 laser however! 40 watt tubes are
fairly inexpensive!

I should also add the pitiful and tiny laser on camera would melt long before 30 seconds if it actually produced 40 watts.
For the power it is tiny. Physics...you just can't break the laws...

Last edited: