Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

posci laser that fries cars!

so in my popular science magazine i got today, it talked about a laser in a plane that could fry cars for the military :D

ok, i was in a rush, so here are details.... it is 40,000 lbs....uses pressurized nitrogen that forces O2 and iodine to create laser.....a container holds spent chems.... an optical resonator creates the light pulse.... the optical bench rifines the beam with mirrors, then beam controll stabilizes the laser beam, a beam expander widens the beam to 20 inches and a turret aims the beam(appears to be huge glass globe)

Is this it?

wth, can't post a link. Go to popsci's website and search for 'airborne laser'

yea, i saw the same thing in it..it talks about if a bird few flew through it...oops no more bird :cool:

I think that eye protection would be the least of your worries if you got hit by that thing! You wouldn't lose an eye, you'd lose your whole head!!!

wow

that is awesome/terrible.

i wish lasers would just stay in labs or in hands of a guy who just wants to play with it.

if they start doing these kinds of things, lasers will start to be banned from everyday life for normal people..

Hmm

It appears it's main design purpose is to disable missiles not fry cars.

Seems a good use of a laser to me. If it can take down an oncoming missile in mid air, thats a good thing. Boeing appears to have developed it for the military or at least helped implement it in military aircraft anyway.

SN

Boeing appears to have developed it for the military or at least helped implement it in military aircraft anyway.
i think that the military designed it for themselves :)