Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Poor focus on Odin 5W450 by C4Lasers

julianthedragon

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys use these lasers for? I've always wanted one, had the cheap store bought ones going back to the early 2000's Would have gotten into the higher powered ones sooner, but last it crossed my mind to look into it, a 1w was over a grand, so now as I'm older, want to settle back, use some of my spare time and admire some lasers out in the open wilderness at night. I own a white laser flashlight that's really cool too and have a color night vision viewer. I'm just into that type of stuff
It really depends on the member. Some people here use them professionally or for research, many are electronics hobbyists who have accumulated knowledge from building lasers and taking them apart. Some are simply fascinated by them and collect different wavelengths. There are even laser photographers/artists here. And there are certain practical consumer uses like star pointing, welding, cutting, as well as lots of nerdy science experiments you can perform. The rabbit hole pretty much goes as deep as you want

Okay, thanks! I just checked out the jetlaser you suggested. Man, that's even more money than the syriker 7.5w. How does pricing work? I thought the more watts, the more money?
Common misconception but pricing is affected by many variables including the brand, build quality, difficulty of obtaining parts, optics, supply and demand etc. Sometimes more wattage is expensive since it requires better heatsinking and a diode that can handle the current, but sometimes it's more expensive for a low powered laser too. It all depends.

Also not trying to be on you too much but I think it's appreciated on the forum if you can group a bunch of short thoughts inside a single post rather than posting one after the other, one of the mods might say it if I don't.

Glad you're interested and soaking up all the advice members are offering so far! Living in the country is a great place to use and admire lasers btw, I always take an opportunity to go somewhere more remote and mess around with them, you really want to avoid using them in populated areas for obvious reasons.

BudJaret

It really depends on the member. Some people here use them professionally or for research, many are electronics hobbyists who have accumulated knowledge from building lasers and taking them apart. Some are simply fascinated by them and collect different wavelengths. There are even laser photographers/artists here. And there are certain practical consumer uses like star pointing, welding, cutting, as well as lots of nerdy science experiments you can perform. The rabbit hole pretty much goes as deep as you want

Common misconception but pricing is affected by many variables including the brand, build quality, difficulty of obtaining parts, optics, supply and demand etc. Sometimes more wattage is expensive since it requires better heatsinking and a diode that can handle the current, but sometimes it's more expensive for a low powered laser too. It all depends.

Also not trying to be on you too much but I think it's appreciated on the forum if you can group a bunch of short thoughts inside a single post rather than posting one after the other, one of the mods might say it if I don't.

Glad you're interested and soaking up all the advice members are offering so far! Living in the country is a great place to use and admire lasers btw, I always take an opportunity to go somewhere more remote and mess around with them, you really want to avoid using them in populated areas for obvious reasons.
Oh sorry. Thought I was just replying in line. I should reply to each comment like this then?

BudJaret

Oh sorry. Thought I was just replying in line. I should reply to each comment like this then?
Okay, well I just spent over $700 on the jet laser you suggested with goggles. Can't wait to get it.

julianthedragon

Not quite. No need for the big quote, just meant you should reply in a single post instead of spamming one after the other. Maybe we should PM if you want to continue the conversation since this isn't even the original point of the thread which was posted in 2020 ;)

Okay, well I just spent over $700 on the jet laser you suggested with goggles. Can't wait to get it.
Congrats on the purchase, which goggles and power level did you get? PM me

BudJaret

Yes please. Looks like I need help. I see the reply at the bottom of the oage, then the one after each comment.

Sowee7

Okay, thanks! I just checked out the jetlaser you suggested. Man, that's even more money than the syriker 7.5w. How does pricing work? I thought the more watts, the more money?
no, that uses a different process called dpss, it is a very complicated process that uses crystals and mirrors, a yellow 5mw pen using the same process costs $500. but theese lasers have a much better beam than diodes and diverge way less

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
It does bother some when people do multiple posts but honestly it's not breaking any rules. I would say just keep it down to a minimum. Don't fill an entire page of single posts. A few here and there never hurt anyone. Shouldn't have to feel stressed about it.

BudJaret

It does bother some when people do multiple posts but honestly it's not breaking any rules. I would say just keep it down to a minimum. Don't fill an entire page of single posts. A few here and there never hurt anyone. Shouldn't have to feel stressed about it.
Appreciate that. Sorry, kinda new to forums. Only know how to reply out of respect.