Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Poor focus on Odin 5W450 by C4Lasers

BudJaret

Don't appreciate the condescending tone and not sure why that's your concern? I'm 52, been around friend. Quite a bit actually. I understand what it means to be safe in life. Know how to survive. We're just asking questions to you, because you know the answers.

Sowee7

Don't appreciate the condescending tone and not sure why that's your concern? I'm 52, been around friend. Quite a bit actually. I understand what it means to be safe in life. Know how to survive. We're just asking questions to you, because you know the answers.
i mean new as in new to lasers, its important to get the correct safety equipment before messing around with high powered lasers, also it is better to start off with lower powered lasers if you are new to this hobby, if you are not new then i apologize for assuming.

BudJaret

I totally agree. That's why I joined this forum in particular, for advice. I don't mind advice, just could do without the assumption that I'm dumb. Yes I plan on soaking up as much safety info as possible before using it. I have an idea of what I want and just don't want to be disappointed after paying $600 for a laser

BudJaret

Thank you for the goggle advice, I have just saved that to buy. Can you help a bit with the laser info itself please? I want a focused spot at long distance and vibrant visable beam. I live in the Country so to speak. Lots of room for just me and my hobbies.
Is the Striker the one to get? I want high quality long lasting that I can use without the equipment failing and burning up

BudJaret

It looks like the Laser Glow OD 2+ at 400-532 nm are the ones I would want for the 445nm Striker?

julianthedragon

I totally agree. That's why I joined this forum in particular, for advice. I don't mind advice, just could do without the assumption that I'm dumb. Yes I plan on soaking up as much safety info as possible before using it. I have an idea of what I want and just don't want to be disappointed after paying $600 for a laser
Sanwu shouldn't dissappoint. As you asked earlier, no modifications should be necessary out the box unless you want to switch lenses or use an attachment like a beam expander.
Also I get how it's annoying but assumption that people are dumb on this forum has probably saved someone's eyes before lol.

Thank you for the goggle advice, I have just saved that to buy. Can you help a bit with the laser info itself please? I want a focused spot at long distance and vibrant visable beam. I live in the Country so to speak. Lots of room for just me and my hobbies.
Is the Striker the one to get? I want high quality long lasting that I can use without the equipment failing and burning up
Make sure you purchase the correct goggles for the wavelength of the laser you end up getting and the OD number is 6 or higher.

If you want a focused visible spot far away the striker is NOT the one to go with. A beam expander could help accomplish this but the Striker is a close range burner. If you're looking for something good quality to buy ready-to-use I would check out JetLaser's PL-E Pro at 532nm at 800mw. The green color will be much more visible and near single-mode, allowing it to be visible and stay small much further.
It looks like the Laser Glow OD 2+ at 400-532 nm are the ones I would want for the 445nm Striker?
OD2+ is not strong enough, 6 or higher. Wavelength is correct

BudJaret

Okay, appreciate it and understand about stupid people😉 So the glasses they recommend for the 445nm are the wrong ones? It shows the wavelength range they are good for. I really appreciate all the knowledge you guys are thriwing at me, I'll soak it up like a sponge

julianthedragon

Okay, appreciate it and understand about stupid people😉 So the glasses they recommend for the 445nm are the wrong ones? It shows the wavelength range they are good for. I really appreciate all the knowledge you guys are thriwing at me, I'll soak it up like a sponge
They are fine for lower power, just not higher. Think of it like this. Each OD number represents a magnitude of 10 that the power is being reduced. And for laser power to be safe for your eyes, it must be as low as possible. So OD2+ gives you 1% of 7500mW or 75mW still going into your eye. Not good. But for a 75mW laser they would be fine.

BudJaret

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys use these lasers for? I've always wanted one, had the cheap store bought ones going back to the early 2000's Would have gotten into the higher powered ones sooner, but last it crossed my mind to look into it, a 1w was over a grand, so now as I'm older, want to settle back, use some of my spare time and admire some lasers out in the open wilderness at night. I own a white laser flashlight that's really cool too and have a color night vision viewer. I'm just into that type of stuff

BudJaret

They are fine for lower power, just not higher. Think of it like this. Each OD number represented a magnitude of 10 that the power is being reduced. And for laser power to be safe for your eyes, it must be as low as possible. So OD2+ gives you 1% of 7500mW or 75mW still going into your eye. Not good. But for a 75mW laser they would be fine.
Oh okay, thanks buddy. Good to know

BudJaret

Wow, you guys don't mess around when it comes to knowledge of the craft huh? Glad I joined

BudJaret

They are fine for lower power, just not higher. Think of it like this. Each OD number represents a magnitude of 10 that the power is being reduced. And for laser power to be safe for your eyes, it must be as low as possible. So OD2+ gives you 1% of 7500mW or 75mW still going into your eye. Not good. But for a 75mW laser they would be fine.
Okay, thanks! I just checked out the jetlaser you suggested. Man, that's even more money than the syriker 7.5w. How does pricing work? I thought the more watts, the more money?