Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

POLL - Close the politics thread?

Close politics thread

• Keep as is

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Yes close thread but do not delete

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Yes close thread and delete

• Move to Vets section instead

• Yes and close the religion thread too

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Keep it but moderate it like any other thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
This thread was initially created by Curtis Oliver for the reason stated "I was in two minds on whether this thread was a good idea to create.
But as i'm seeing members here getting into political arguments and other debates on various threads.
I thought it would be a good idea to create a platform to do so, without clogging up the forum."
At one point in the forum a lot of members were bickering all over the place. This isn't the case anymore and hasn't been for a good while, a few years actually I think so right now it's just the same posts after posts.
Honestly it's a bit of a headache and it no longer serves a real purpose nowadays but instead of just outright closing it this poll is created to get the opinion of you guys before any decision is made.
Sound good?

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
That chaos hasn't been around in a long time. No need to get butthurt over it. It's not a personal attack on you or anything

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
That chaos hasn't been around in a long time. No need to get butthurt over it. It's not a personal attack on you or anything
Lol, not being butthurt. But political arguments was all over the place before I created that thread. Chaos hasn't been there because the thread has been there. You honestly think that removing the thread further down the line means the original problem is over and it won't happen again. The thread was a bandaid not a cure. What are you going to do to limit it? Threaten to ban anyone who dares mention politics? Because that won't work either.

PS. I never wanted to create the thread in the first place. It should never of needed to exist. But US political arguments was a number one problem at the time.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
That was then this is now. Yes I will deal with anyone who disrupts the forum as is my job. I give out warnings and if the person does not stop then a short ban. If that continues then another longer ban until it comes to the point where a permaban is needed. I deal with spam every day and night so it's nothing much when or if they come back with another account.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
That was then this is now. Yes I will deal with anyone who disrupts the forum as is my job. I give out warnings and if the person does not stop then a short ban. If that continues then another longer ban until it comes to the point where a permaban is needed. I deal with spam every day and night so it's nothing much when or if they come back with another account.
So based on that reply everything I said in my last post, you do believe. I'm sorry, nothing personal either. But I can see this backfiring.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Believe what? Potential backlash? Not sure what you're referring to.

Virtually 2 main members only post in the thread with a few posts from myself and one or two others who rarely post. The thing is totally dead but it's an eye sore and might be driving new people away from the forum

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
You honestly think that removing the thread further down the line means the original problem is over and it won't happen again. The thread was a bandaid not a cure. What are you going to do to limit it? Threaten to ban anyone who dares mention politics? Because that won't work either.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Curtis you're getting all upset because it's your thread. I get it. But it isn't needed anymore. There is no more "chaos".

If it comes to the point where it's needed again then sure we can bring it back but honestly that isn't going to happen any time soon

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It's my thread, you have my permission to close it down as I didn't want it in the first place. But you're the mod so you'll have to deal with the consequences.

My prediction, you'll be right for a while. Then the next political event will occur, and you'll be back to square one.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
It's my thread, you have my permission to close it down as I didn't want it in the first place. But you're the mod so you'll have to deal with the consequences.
Well firstly I don't need your permission. Secondly a mod and I decided to make a poll about it so it will be based on those results. Thirdly I am aware of the consequences but I do appreciate you looking out for me. We'll see how it goes. It'll be up for 9 days I think I set it to. If it does end up getting deleted I will see if Avery can prevent the loss in post count for all who participated in it.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Well firstly I don't need your permission. Secondly a mod and I decided to make a poll about it so it will be based on those results. Thirdly I am aware of the consequences but I do appreciate you looking out for me. We'll see how it goes. It'll be up for 9 days I think I set it to. If it does end up getting deleted I will see if Avery can prevent the loss in post count for all who participated in it.
Well let's see if that thing called democracy can prevail here.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
It's lpf... the rules are not that difficult to understand

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
BTW if you think anyone in the past who got banned should be given another chance, I am authorized to unban them as long as they come with peaceful intentions. Just let me know and I'll bring it up with the others.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Bump. I really need you guys to weigh in on this. I made it anonymous for a reason