Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PLTB450 on a SCAR5 5.56 rifle? Thoughts.

I second the 520 Idea. the new multimode osram versions can output at least 200mW and have better divergence according to DTR and styropyro than m140 445 diodes. another reason I'd go with 520nm over 445nm or 450nm is that to me at least, blue laser dots, even at high powers, are a lot harder to see in daylight conditions than green laser dots. sure a 1W 445 beam may look comparably bright to a 250mW green, but take 'em out in the day and the difference is obvious. I think right around 200mW of 520 would be perfect for daytime range shooting. no one will need safety glasses if you follow the same rules with the laser as you do with the gun. a 200mW dot, at range, during daylight, will not damage anyone's vision as long as your targets are not mirrors. I believe 520 is superior than 532 for this application because it stands to reason that a diode can more easily withstand recoil than a DPSS setup. don't quote me on that, but it makes sense to me.

I have one of these https://www.lasermax.com/ProductDetails/tabid/127/ProductID/749/Default.aspx and love everything about it except the brightness (and cost). its great in low light or night, but in daylight, its hard to see beyond a few yards, or you have to take time to find it after each shot. it does have incredible divergence, it might have the best divergence of my lasers. it's also nice that it's adjustable for windage/elevation, something that would be a tall order to incorporate in a custom design

on a side note, I have been wondering if one could use a defocused laser as a shotgun sight, and adjust the divergence angle to roughly match the shot spread pattern at any given distance such that the size of your laser's dot will roughly indicate the size of your shot grouping at any given distance. it's probably not possible

Last edited:

Do shotgun pellets curve outwards, or to the individual pellets curve randomly, or do they basically just go straight (gravity not included)? If they just go straight, or they randomly spread, I don't see why not a laser could be used.

From my shooting experience, and of course it depends on the shotgun/barrel, but 00buck tends to hold a 12" group 10-15 yards. An unfocused laser beam say the size of a pie plate at 10-15yards could be useful. I wouldnt trust it past 25yards but I like the idea.

Do shotgun pellets curve outwards, or to the individual pellets curve randomly, or do they basically just go straight (gravity not included)? If they just go straight, or they randomly spread, I don't see why not a laser could be used.

I think it would be useful for quick acquisition At short range.

I thought it was a cool idea. imagine it now with an IR laser and some night vision goggles, at night.

Oh yeah and earlier I meant you shouldn't need laser glasses for that use, not no glasses at all. you should always wear eye protection when shooting.

Last edited:

lzrppl

Ebay item number 261157673372 is basically a reject 808nm diode that was just 5nm off the mark, hence why they are so cheap. Good company, up your way...quick shipping and specs on each diode you buy. You can even make an offer if you are buying a few. These also are definitely a full 1/2 watt...great IR illuminators. I have literally bought a couple hundred from them. They always list these for sale.