Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Please help with 200mw build

vimarc

So recently i bought a 200mw laser module from ebay. I wanted to just put it in a classic pen housing but it doesnt have a button and ive also read that it needs heatsinking. What should i do/ can i do with this module?
Link: 10mW 30mW 50mW 100mW 200mW Green Dot Laser Module Driver Wire Spring 12mm DMX512 | eBay

Pictures:
1el2yh.jpg

x4ojfa.jpg

dmqr13.jpg

333vhfk.jpg

20sc64g.jpg

Dw about the heatsinking too much. Try placing it into the pen host and it should light up when you put in batteries, just means it wont turn off till you take the batteries out.

You can add a button to the host itself, running a connection between the spring and battery connection.

vimarc

Thanks a lot for answering to a newbie. Ive been experimenting with it like that and its not overheating at all and i could get that kind of button in there. But the module doesnt fit in the host at all. Do you know any kind of host that could take it? Should i mod a flashlight?

Pman

Easiest way is to build into something like an altoids tin and add your own switch or a rear clicky host. Surprised it doesn't physically fit in that pen.

By the way, if it's like most modules that top section just contains the lens and if you turn it so it's almost unscrewed you can likely focus it within 4-6" away. Easy way to find out is take a piece of electrical tape to check the focus point. Never get close enough to risk smoke on the lens.

Last edited:

vimarc

Hey thanks for all the responses. I managed to solder a button on it and build it into this original host. Its not 200mw but a good 30-50. Focusing it all the time is still a pain in the butt. I dont recommend buying one of these. Altough i dont know about the weaker ones.