Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Please help me pick the right one.

I wanted a laser pointer for presentation purposes. Also wanted something a little different so I went with a 405nm 5mW device only to find out that its very difficult to see on certain backgrounds and if there is any ambient light.

My thought was that 5mW is just underpowered for the 405nm and I want to try something a bit more powerful without having to worry about burning projector screens down or putting anyone in harms way.

How powerful can I go and still be on the safer side. And why are true blue / 450ish nm lasers so hard to find? That's the color I originally wanted to go with????

Thanks for your help.

Blord

Your 5mW 405nm laser is probably ten times stronger. Almost every 405nm laser is overspec due the poor visibility.

Higher power green or blue will be too bright for presentation.
If you really want to stay at 5mW chose a green or red laser pointer.

The 445nm/450nm diode are already blue. How much truer blue do you want ?

Last edited:
Out of all the readily available diodes, my absolute favorite is the PL450. It is the most beautiful true blue. ( the same color of blue you might see in your rear view window if you have a bit of a lead foot. :crackup: )

If you search ebay for "450 pointer" you will find some, no guarantee on the true power you might receive.

If you have basic skills in building electronics and can solder, you can easily build one from scratch.
Get your diode here: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/450nm-pl450-diodes

Last edited: