Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Plane finder app

Not sure if it's the right sub but does anyone use this app if they're planning to use their high powered laser outside?
Would you rely on it?

I have the plane finder app, it's pretty sick. I can point it at the airplane with augmented reality to see what it is, where its going/from, specs and pics.

Rivem

If you really want good data, you can get/make the thing that provides the data to these apps: an ADS-B receiver. It's not a difficult radio project anymore with cheap SDR.

diachi

If you really want good data, you can get/make the thing that provides the data to these apps: an ADS-B receiver. It's not a difficult radio project anymore with cheap SDR.

Damn, you bet me to it! That's what I was going to suggest. Not all aircraft - at least up here - are using ADS-B. At least as far as I know.

I'm sure it was FlightRadar24 that were offering a free ADS-B receiver, plug and play type, to people in locations they didn't have coverage that also met their technical requirements.

I looked into it but I couldn't meet the requirements due to living in an apartment. :(

Last edited:

Rivem

Damn, you bet me to it! That's what I was going to suggest. Not all aircraft - at least up here - are using ADS-B. At least as far as I know.

I'm sure it was FlightRadar24 that were offering a free ADS-B receiver, plug and play type, to people in locations they didn't have coverage that also met their technical requirements.

I looked into it but I couldn't meet the requirements due to living in an apartment. :(

You can make one with less than $20 in materials and a little skill. Check this out: RTL-SDR Tutorial: Cheap ADS-B Aircraft RADAR - rtl-sdr.com

The RTL-SDR is a great little radio to do tons of little projects and experiments with.

diachi

You can make one with less than $20 in materials and a little skill. Check this out: RTL-SDR Tutorial: Cheap ADS-B Aircraft RADAR - rtl-sdr.com

The RTL-SDR is a great little radio to do tons of little projects and experiments with.

Yep - no need to tell me :p! I have mine - just need a better antenna. That said- I've got a full blown HF rig in the truck - that's more fun.

Talking of HF - if you have the patience/space/time you could get the RTL-SDR and an HF upconverter so that you can listen to the HF portion of the spectrum too.

Or, use these free online SDR options:

websdr.org

Anyway ... sorry for going off topic.

Last edited: