Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PL-E Pro 445nm cracked lens

HI
did you consider making a nice 'intro' (those go in the welcome section) and inducing yourself BEFORE asking for help.\\We are also less likely to offer lots of help if you do not see the value in putting you location in your profile.
Steve--
Glad I could help.;) Now consider this. You contact them and say you broke the lens and they send you a lens when what you really needed was a dust window. You'd be a bit disappointed I imagine. So it pays to accurately describe the problem
You--
On the flip side a new member asks a question and you give a sarcastic response even though you thought you knew the actual problem. Really helps everyone...To the people that actually helped and cared about my problem, thanks again

^^ now that was uncalled for..
Yes you are new.. but manners go a long way here be you new or an old vet like me.
I need to ask you how this happened?? looks like something was digging at the dust window.. ( the lasers lens is farther back.)
JETLASERS come w/ 1 year warranty BUT it is for defects when new and some failures.. which is not your case IMHO.

where did you buy it and when. How much did you pay?

Is the laser still working? (aside from the crack's effect on the beam..)
You could remove it *VERY CAREFULLY * and buy the $138.usd Pro PL-E 10X beam expander, (or BE) these change the beam and many like it that way.. it will keep any dust from getting inside.. Sending it back for repairs is easy but not free.. you would need to pay to get it back to JL and after the fix you need to pay for the return shipping DHL Express it is $38usd ( no other choice )... JL afaik has been great w/ repairs -- most of the cost will be parts.. OR you can ask for a member to work on it for you. (but not me).

looking fwd to reading your 'intro' and hearing a bit more about you.
best wishes hakzaw

Dt299

Appreciate the response and I'm honestly not trying to be an ass but will reply as one when someone responds as one. I bought my pl-e a little over two years ago so warranty is out of the question. I already own the expander but don't care to use it in that manner. Paid around $250 for the entire bundle from jetlasers. Have no problem sending it back and paying the cost but was trying to find a time saving solution over sending it overseas for repair. 34, white, married, 2 kids, government worker, ne ohio(theres my intro, if you need my ssn just let me know)

gotcha

thing is... the wait is the same OR JL might fix and return faster than anyone else-- we get lasers from JL typically in 72 hours..
DHL does an excellent job but the best parts is NOT the crazy fast shipping-- its there ability to have our goods sent asap with NO TIME for inspections etc.. and its best to keep in mind- safe shipping is more important the cheap/fast shipping .. DHL just happens to offer us both.
Now if you want a member locally to check it out... oh wait --you have not added that into your profile so I cannot send you to anyone my bad!

I still want to hear how this happened BBgun? flying rock? -- it did not do that to itself.

And whats wrong about leaving the B.E. IN place --afaik most owners of JLs & the BEs do not remove them w/o good reason. ALSO tiny bits of Aluminum CAN be a problem if the you get any on either lens--so I suggest you old the laser horizontal when adding or removing and after removing use canned air spray both to blow any tiny bits away.. then store with lenses covered. A few here got pro-ple 473 DPPS and by accident JL forgot to add a IR filter -- so that's its mostly blue coming out..& no IR

JL quickly sent I filters to all owners asking and we glued the IR filter in place AND of course we removed the optic that was in place.. I do not recall anyone have a problem..

OHIO!!!! ???

dang ...round on the ends & hi in the middle..
I am also a buckeye-- born Canton -- grad KSU 1970.
Kecked is there as well as Steve Roberts. 'LSFAQ'(Akron)
Steve is no fan of high powered handhelds. ( He builds and repairs laser projectors etc)
so he will not be helpful.. but Kecked owns a bunch.

but I do think you can fix this yourself. Contact 'Gray' at JL and ask for a replacement optic window.. he needs to know which laser you own.. & may send it for free..XXXX BUT=XXXX= never use superglue around any optics.. go with epoxy instead.

Before you joined -- you lurked and thus saw the old forum.. in the one before our location appeared under our names in every post.
so no location meant it was not entered into the new members personal profile-- so I forgot that --my bad.. I will go read your 'intro' thread in the 'WELCOME' section ... a good place to use your location in a the title of the 'intro' thread -- for me it was "HELLO- from Texas-''got lots of greets & welcomes from others in TeX. & since then have met many..

Last edited:
A dust window is something you can get by without. You might try removing the old cracked window and seeing how you like the beam without it. I would keep it wrapped up and out of the air after removing that window and don't get too close if you want to burn something as the smoke will deposit onto your optics.
No need to wrap it up between usage. Those lasers come with a screw on cap that protects the dust window.

Dt299

Dealt with gray in the past i believe, shortly after getting my laser. I'll go the jl route, thanks for the info. Medina ohio here.

On the flip side a new member asks a question and you give a sarcastic response even though you thought you knew the actual problem. Really helps everyone...To the people that actually helped and cared about my problem, thanks again.
Now, Now, no need to get your knickers up in a knot. Here's what I'd do. Order a new window. Remove the cracked window. Glue the new window in place. Or don't replace the cracked window. Have a can of canned air for removing dust from the lens and interior space. Keep the dust cover on in between usage. If you get a new window I would not use epoxy it's awfully difficult to removed and it chips creating more mess to clean up in places you don't want it. The adhesive I like is Beacon 527. http://www.michaels.com/beacon-527-...rlZnuNDeMETIENKyfY8RfHKGhAmszg4kaAlF8EALw_wcB
I've used it to hold AR coated optics in place.
By the way, if your laser is like mine it may have had dust in the interior lens compartment and even on the lens during assembly. Now would be a good opportunity to blow that dust out.

Last edited:
So this thread is the only place you have posted??

TBH I put off making my intro for a while.. some NEVER make one and others make one... then vanish..

LPF is a friendly and 'family' forum.. its moderated by the members as well a staff of Mods.

If you have any questions and did not find the answers by searching or reading the 'stickies' at the top in every section, ask by PM any member who has been friendly..

there are some questions that should not really be in the 'open forum'.

Your' intro' BTW does not need to be huge..

. a few TY replies is about all one needs to do in the way of follow-up.
Replying to these adds to your post count..
Greets from Ohio members are a good way to meet the forum via one of the members and, in time, in person.
This can be especially helpful if you do not own a LPM. Members here with meters are happy to meter your lasers & never for any charge.

Dom1

Hi i have a 5 watt ple pro for sale if anyone is interested? £200 shipped from the uk.

Dealt with gray in the past i believe, shortly after getting my laser. I'll go the jl route, thanks for the info. Medina ohio here.
I would talk to Gray first...he has always treated me very well. Considering shipping and all you might be better off buying a new one.
Prices have come down in the past 2 years. I have 3 PLE-PRO lasers. 2 are 520nm 1 watt and my newest (came this week) is a 3.2 watt+
465nm.(it exceeds my Laserbee 2 measurement range) I can say without reservation they are the highest quality beefiest lasers I own. I wish you the best of luck in getting it repaired as well!!!