Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pioneer 8X BDR-203BKS Beam Visability Comparison

awesome! thanks so much. answered exactly what i was asking. I am more interested in the brightness of the beam than the burning power. I think i'll just stick to my 803T's and 6x's then. thanks a bunch pseudolobster!

The thing that you have to remember though is that BR diodes in general due to the extremely "sketchy" nature of GaN vary in wavelength quite dramatically within the same batch.

Pseudolobster might have gotten his hands on a low-nm diode. I remember that PHR varied so greatly in wavelenght that some were not even seen at a 100mw, while others were very bright at the same powerlevel. We had a whole ordeal with 811 diodes@40ish mw which seemed as bright as PHR's at +100mw.

Just something to take into consideration.

jayrob

It's true that 'visually', some PHR's can be just about as bright as a 6X or 8X, especially if you have a long wavelength PHR...

But once you have tried the power of an 8X with a 405-G-1 glass lens, you will be totally spoiled until something more powerful comes along. :D

The beam is brighter visually... (not by a huge amount) The dot is much brighter visually. But the power is what is amazing. You WILL be 'hooked' on power! :cool:

Here are some beam shot comparisons with 6X vs 8X. Both using my 405-G-1 glass lens modification...

(Beam shot comparisons with smoke)
BDR beam1.jpg

BDR beam3.jpg

Jay

Just finished building another 8x... Here's a beamshot with no smoke, under bright halogen lights:
9bmb60.jpg

It's worth noting that cameras seem to pick up 405nm much better than our eyes do... I can only see the slightest hint of a beam in real life.

I will say though, that the power of these things is truly jaw-dropping... I can't let it touch my skin for more than two seconds without a severe sting... These are by far the most powerful laser I've ever played with... A long open can red at 450-500mA is puny and feeble by comparison.

awesome. you guys are making me move towards a $200 hit on my bank account.

ramen noodes i guess it is for the next two weeks lol.

Last edited:
I too am consdering an 8x , but i know i will need a similar driver set @ 300ma, that Daguin has.

i may get the drive this coming week and as a novice plung into the 8x well..

jayrob

It was 512mW, the driver was made by Jayrob, it was basically just a regular DDL (LM317T) driver but with higher spec components (ie higher wattage resistors and potentiometer), the host was a standard sized, albeit somewhat larger flashlight.

My 8x wasn't as bright as my DXtrue50 greenie, but that's to be expected of bluray. The color of them seems a little closer to UV than PHR's... I've seen PHR's at around 100mW that look almost as bright as my 8x was at some ~450mW. The main difference is that the 8x would mercilessly burn through anything it touched. With the jayrob G1 lens I was able to make a nasty black mark on my white painted wall from 20 feet away, focused to infinity... I also burnt some holes *through* floppy disks in under a minute, focused to infinity.

If you want to read Daguin's thread, it's stickied at the top of the tutorials/help board.

Yep... I made the driver for Dave using a 100 ohm, 4 turn, 1/2 watt pot. This would be adjustable from 12.5 mA's to 400mA's with plenty of voltgage using 3 X 10440 batteries. (no series resistor, so the driver will adjust higher than 400mA's, but is only recommended for up to 400mA's in this circuit)

Dave got the 3405 host, but the same build can be done in this nice Side button host: (I could make this same 8X DDL driver a 'HOt' option with the Side Button Host/Heatsink combo for $78 plus shipping) I have parts on hand...

Check out the host:
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=22607
Jay

Yep... I made the driver for Dave using a 100 ohm, 4 turn, 1/2 watt pot. This would be adjustable from 12.5 mA's to 400mA's with plenty of voltgage using 3 X 10440 batteries. (no series resistor, so the driver will adjust higher than 400mA's, but is only recommended for up to 400mA's in this circuit)

Dave got the 3405 host, but the same build can be done in this nice Side button host: (I could make this same 8X DDL driver a 'HOt' option with the Side Button Host/Heatsink combo for $78 plus shipping) I have parts on hand...

Check out the host:
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=22607
Jay

Any chance you have a circuit diagram for this fancy driver of yours (including resistors and all)? Of if you're trying to keep its construction on the DL any possibility you'd make one for me for some good old fiat monetary system currency?

jayrob

Any chance you have a circuit diagram for this fancy driver of yours (including resistors and all)? Of if you're trying to keep its construction on the DL any possibility you'd make one for me for some good old fiat monetary system currency?

It is the well known DDL (LM317 based) driver. Only it uses a custom pot, and no series resistor. It's just the LM317, the pot, as well as the silicon diode and cap built right into the pill with the driver. (so you really have to be careful about making sure you discharge the cap before connecting your LD)

Here's a picture of the driver:
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=36790&page=5#113
Jay

It is the well known DDL (LM317 based) driver. Only it uses a custom pot, and no series resistor. It's just the LM317, the pot, as well as the silicon diode and cap built right into the pill with the driver. (so you really have to be careful about making sure you discharge the cap before connecting your LD)

http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=36790&page=5#113
Jay

awesome. thanks jay! im foreseeing a good fit into a kryton barrel. thanks!

jayrob

Jay

awesome. thanks jay! im foreseeing a good fit into a kryton barrel. thanks!

Not this driver in a Kryton... It would be possible I suppose, but a very difficult fit. Plus the battery supply is not good enough for an 8X in a Kryton with this driver.

For a Kryton 8X, I would recommend a FlexDrive, and just staying at 300mA's like my Pocket Mini build. With my 405-G-1 glass lens mod, you will still get around 400mW's! :cool:

Believe me, at that power you will want a Kryton EzFocus adapter, because the Krytons are difficult to focus:
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=22510
Jay

Last edited:
Hey Jayrob that side button host is really sweet! I've been considering an 8x build like Daguin's but first I have to 'fix' my current 6x Dorcy Jr. project. There appears to be an issue with the Flexdrive V2 I'm using as it will not output more than 170mv. I'm guessing the pot is the issue. I have just ordered a Flexdrive V4 so I hope it works out better. Right now my 6x is only putting out 106mw through an Aixiz acryllic lens (125mw with no lens). When I start my 8x I will definitely be coming to you for the host/heatsink/driver/lens. Hopefully you'll have a 'Hot' option for the driver that Dave used!!!

jayrob

No problem, I have parts on hand...

That driver will be a tight fit in the side button host, but I believe it will be able to have room. The FlexDirve will fit easily, but would have to be kept to no more than 300mA's current per Dr. Lava in an 8X build. (because of the high forward voltage of the diode)

But even at 300mA's, you should see around 400mW's with my 405-G-1 glass lens! :)
Jay

Heck yeah!!! Not quite the half-watt monster Dave built but definitely a powerful Blu-ray!
I take it there's no easy way to deal with the 8x diode's forward voltage when used with lava drivers to allow more than 300ma? I'm sure Dr. Lava or one of the other forum experts will eventually figure something out but at 300ma the diode would probably have a much longer life... I've been pricing different 8x burners and the cheapest seem to be around the $194-$210 mark. Pioneer, LG, and Sony all have nice 8x burners (with the Sony costing over $300!!!). I'll most likely be looking at the Pioneer since it's the cheapest at $194 from Newegg. So what's the total cost for a side button host with heatsink, 405-G-1 lens, and flexdrive? Also, what kind of batteries does that particular host use?

jayrob

Since the topic is asking about 8X's, I don't think this is too much of a threadjack...

* Side button host/heatsink combo - $35 (host/heatsink)
* Add 'Hot' option - Plus $48 (FlexDrive installed and current pre-set)
* 405-G-1 glass lens modification - $55
* Shipping - $6

Shipping out of the U.S. will be the same price. (Out of U.S. buyer assumes responsibility at that price) Should not be a problem though... (I would mark the package as a gift, with a description of 'LED Flashlight' with a low value of $15)

That host uses 3 X AAA batteries, perfect for a FlexDrive build! :) You would also have the option of using AAA rechargeable batteries. Sanyo eneloop are the best...

I'll send you a PM...
Jay

Last edited:

Check out the host:
Jay
I need to look into this , sending PM