Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

pics 2/15

The first batch of pics are using a magnifying glass and Dragon Lasers reflective fan and matrix diffraction gratings. The blue laser is the 473nm 100mw I purchased from wannaburnstuff and the green is a Dragon lasers 532nm 100mw Hulk. I am still amazed how nice this 473 is! Push the on button and there is a great beam instantaneously. The second batch are pics taken with a plasma globe. I have thought about buying one to use in conjunction with my lasers for a while and finally did. I used the Dragon Lasers transmission fan and matrix grating on these. It seems the beams are normal until they hit the glass. They seem to disappear once inside the glass sphere and reappear when leaving the sphere. I am not sure why this is, but is a real nice effect. As one can clearly see the "plasma streaks" inside the globe while the beams are not visible inside the sphere. The beams are visible only before entering the sphere and after the exiting sphere. But you do get real nice geometric patterns on the glass where the beams enter and exit. Earlier in the week I photographed the plasma globe with my projectors and got some wild looking pictures, where the geometric patterns on the glass are very abstract looking. I will post them in the next few days. Enjoy.

**my favorite pics from this post have been added to my "Best of" thread 2/18/14**

Last edited:

I just got SEE-men all over my cheeks from the eyegasm you just gave me

I can't wait to see what you think up next now that you have reflection and transmission gratings. how do they compare btw? which do you prefer?

looks like you broke a grating but it still works?

Last edited:
Hey Shakenawake,
Thanks. Usually I like using transmission gratings better, but the reflective ones can give a nice effect too. You have noticed that I am using a broken grating. The answer to your question is yes, they work perfect when broken. As long as the beam passes thru them the broken gratings work the same. I did get two new ones from the GB from Noah, but I still use all of the small pieces from many drops in the dark.

Last edited:
Wow, amazing as always :beer: that second pic is especially nice :drool:

gismo

I must react to this thread:D. The round magnifying glass - square diffraction grating combo looks very promising, adding more lasers of other wavelengths (and perhaps more magnifiers) could show some more interesting results. The plasma globe shots are nearly like they originate out of this world, especially like the red/purple and blue mix of them.

I always look for the weekend sessions of yours, Bruce:). Guaranteed top quality and creativity for the win:beer:.

ru124t

Makes me remember back in the day! The disco age would have loved you! Burn baby burn disco inferno !

Hey Gismo,
Thanks as always! I was also thinking of adding a few more magnifying glasses and colors for next week. I also have some other cool ideas for the plasma globe. I originally used it with my projectors and got some real "alien" looking shots. I will post them mid week I think. I also see you are getting into macro photography. What lens are you you using for the shots I saw in the "Random Photos" section. The pictures of the coin and batteries are excellent examples of macro. Keep it up and keep posting. I cannot wait for springtime as every weekend it is freezing in my garage at night, and also to use the Nikon in normal situations, like outdoors and in NYC. Take care.