Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[Pic Heavy] 208mA 16x Diode <$5 Budget Burner

ok thanks. well it still emits light so I am not sure. is there any way I can mesure whether the diode is already damaged?

You need an LPM to measure power. Or look up a chart for your diode and check the mA-> mW for one. They're all different, the mA:mW ratio for diodes of the same type, but it'll give you a general idea.

Would you mind posting a photo of your set up?

hey there.. I finall managed to get the time to post this... here are some photos of my set up:

9zoa4w.jpg

25rntcn.jpg

29bo6zl.jpg

t899qb.jpg

kssvl.jpg

It looks to me like that diode's either dead or under powered. Also, unheatsinked.

I also see that the soldering needs a lot of practise, that braided wire is all over the place and it's pretty much a guarantee it'll get shorted.

You should always pre-tin the braided wires before soldering to the final component.

B33M

lazeerer,

If you pm me ur addy ill send you some square heatsinks np.

Yeah to me it seems the diode may have been killed from soldering. Those solder blobs look pretty big and heavy. Probably heated the diode up a fair amount.

Just look up the DDL Driver :)
I used two 3 ohm resistors to get 6 ohms which gives 208mA

If you're attempting a build and need help, PM me and I'll gladly help :D

Hi. I am not a big physics guy but for my school project I was going to build a laser like this. I was wondering what can this laser do.Can it burn things thicker than cardboard like wood? Thanks a lot I would appreciate it.

mwang

Hi. I am not a big physics guy but for my school project I was going to build a laser like this. I was wondering what can this laser do.Can it burn things thicker than cardboard like wood? Thanks a lot I would appreciate it.

First off, if you want to build a burning laser with an output over 5 mW you need to read over the safety procedures, and get safety goggles.

Burning paper and cardboard requires at least a class 4 laser, which would be greater than 500 mW of output power. Unless you have a lot of money, a class 4 red laser is way too expensive for a school project. Your best bet would be a 445nm laser. However, those are harder to build, and easier to mess up on. If you have no previous experience, building a 445 is out of the question until you have enough experience. Also, it would still run you maybe at least 70 bucks for a 1000 mW blue.