Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PHR805T Manufacturer?

Can anyone tell me who actually makes the PHR805T diode? I've been trying to figure it out the actual manufacturer, because I may need a gigantic pile of them for a big project I'm working on, but I haven't had any luck. I've bought small quantities of them from newgazer on ebay, but if this project works out, I'm going to need a few thousand.

If anyone has any info, I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

First you should introduce yourself for example maybe where you are from, why you are here, whats your project about. Because its your first post here but ok welcome to the forum.

PHR805T is not an actual model number of the diode its just named after the blu ray drive it came from. Like so many diodes we use are named after the devices they come from for instance M140 or S06J or BDR-209.

There are many 405nm diodes that are in the power region of a PHR805T could be a diode from Sony, Nichia, Sanyo...

Maybe they even changed the type of diode they used in the time they produced these drives.

If you really need thousands of diodes you can acquire diodes directly from Nichia for example.

Also "thousand of diodes" sounds like you are planning to sell something working with laser diodes for that application I wouldn't chose a diode of which you haven't even got the datasheet because you won't know they lifetime at the current you use which is critical for a product which should have a longer runtime than a few hours like in a laser pointer.

Maybe you can tell us a bit more about your project because it seems like you are new to diode lasers and we could guide you to a good diode.

Edit: yay 300 posts :)

Last edited:
Ahaha, good point. I've been lurking on LPF for a while and sort of forgot that I never had a reason to post before.

All right, so hi! I work in 3D printing and scanning, and while I've built a few lasers for fun, this is my first time trying to make something really complicated. I'm working on a project that's currently under NDA, so I can't get too detailed about it as a whole, but the laser related component is an array of 30 405nm laser diodes. If it goes well, I might end up making a lot of them, hence my interest in who manufactures them.

My current prototype is a mini array of 5 PHR805T diodes which is working out well. They run very stable, and give a good amount of power for the 120ma I'm running through them.

Is there any way to tell which company makes the diodes that are being harvested from the PHR805T sleds? Or is there a specific similar diode that you'd recommend from nichia/sony/sanyo? The reason I went with the PHR in the first place was people here saying good things about them, and I'd tried out some similar rated 405 diodes before, and the oval they projected was really...irregular. The array I'm using doesn't have lenses, as I really just need a polarized light field, so having all of the diodes making a very similar oval is pretty critical.

aha 3D printing I guessed it ;) :na:
I prefer photolithographic printers a lot over those " hot glue gun strapped to a CNC" type ones :) much better resolutions and possibilities
If only the resins weren't so expensive but I think the cost will come down a lot

I think its not possible to find out which diode the phr805t uses but that's because as i said there a quite a few diodes in that range which is a good thing for you.

No matter which diode you choose 405nm diodes expect a few very high powered ones are all single mode and therefore have those "similar oval" output

In an application like a 3D printer you want those diodes to last as long as possible so you shouldn't overdrive them and since we don't know which diode is in a phr805t we don't know if we are overdriving it at 120mA but I guess we do.

So if you want a diode with the same output like a phr805t but not overdriven you are looking for a 100-130mW spec 405nm diode.
Maybe you want to use fewer but more powerful diodes.

I only did a quick search on aliexpress because I am tired now but here you go:

Sony 100mW spec:
5pcs lot SONY 405NM Violet/Blue 100mw Laser Diode LD SLD3235VF TO18 5.6mm-in Diodes from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com

Sony 150mW spec:
LY 405nm 150mw Violet/Blue Laser Diode 5.6mm TO 18 Sony NEW SLD3237VF-in Diodes from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com

Nichia 120mW spec:
Free Shipping 405nm120mW violet Laser Diode 405nm 5.6mm NICHIA LASER DIODE NDV4313-in Diodes from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com

Nichia 200mW spec:
NICHIA NDV4542 Laser Diodes 405nm 200mW Violet Laser Diodes-in Diodes from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com

Sanyo 60mW spec:
The new installation package Sanyo laser light blue violet laser tube 60MW 405NM laser diode (3.8mm)-in Laser Equipment Parts from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com

All have a model number in the item description and some also a datasheet so if you want to order a lot of diodes after you tested a few you can contact the manufacturer or make a better deal with a seller.

And have fun with your project :beer:

Shokkun, you are my hero. And yeah, having used lots of 3d printers recently, I can say with authority that photolithography is just so much cooler. :D

One thing that confuses me about the whole unknown diode thing is this: if every PHR805T being sold were extracted from a sled, then I could understand it being hard to track down who's actually making them, but plenty are being sold new, complete with long untrimmed leads. That seems a little strange, right?

NICIHAs have a barcode on the back, ROHM have
an R stamped in them, and SOMETIMES the
Mitsubishis have the 3 petal logo. That is about the
only way to know. The rest are mostly unmarked.
Good luck.

rhd

Shokkun, you are my hero. And yeah, having used lots of 3d printers recently, I can say with authority that photolithography is just so much cooler. :D

One thing that confuses me about the whole unknown diode thing is this: if every PHR805T being sold were extracted from a sled, then I could understand it being hard to track down who's actually making them, but plenty are being sold new, complete with long untrimmed leads. That seems a little strange, right?

They're not all being extracted from sleds. One of the diode sources that a lot of resellers buy from is selling them new - but they don't list manufacturer either.