Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Phoenix teen busted with green laser

Razako

Any idiot can make a bomb out of some shotgun shells, a spray paint can, a fuse and some nails.

That means that we must strictly regulate all of the above items and require a background check before purchasing said items.

I think all of you forget he was just a kid. Give a kid a box of matches and he will set fire to things he shouldn't do, give a kid an air rifle or bb gun and he will shoot things he is not supposed to. That is why there are laws on minors posessing such things that can be dangerous to others.

Blame the parents for their ignorance in allowing a minor to posess a potentially harmful toy. Don't blame the kid for doing something that comes naturally for a child. You were all young once, or have you forgotten so quickly?

Jase

he was what.. 13? i'm 11 and I wouldnt point my galileo anywhere NEAR a plane/helicopter. but I agree with the above comment entirely except for one thing: not
all children are that stupid really.

toked323 said:
what an idiot a kid at my school did that to a small plane so i punched him in the groin and told him not to

HAHA nice one.
It's a lack of common sense that is ruining this hobby for everyone. Stupid people should stop breeding.

Uninteligible said:
he was what.. 13? i'm 11 and I wouldnt point my galileo anywhere NEAR a plane/helicopter. but I agree with the above comment entirely except for one thing: not
all children are that stupid really.

I am not saying that all children are stupid or irresponsible , that is usually up to the parents. My daughter has a healthy respect for lasers and she is only 7, but she has learned a healthy respect , because I have taught her to . My daughter respects life , other people and how she treats them, but that is only because my wife and I have taken the time out to teach her.

Education is paramount, and ignorance is dangerous, obviously this poor kids parents had less of the former and plenty of the latter , else the poor chap would not be in the world of shit he is in now.

When he shone that laser at those helicopters, do you honestly think he was purposly trying to blind the pilots, or was he playing out his fantasy , firing his disruptor at the Klingon bird of prey that had just decloaked over his house?.

I actually was allowed to have an imagination when I was growing up, at what age should we stop that now????

Jase

Gazoo

Tallaxo said:
I think all of you forget he was just a kid. Give a kid a box of matches and he will set fire to things he shouldn't do, give a kid an air rifle or bb gun and he will shoot things he is not supposed to. That is why there are laws on minors posessing such things that can be dangerous to others.

Blame the parents for their ignorance in allowing a minor to posess a potentially harmful toy. Don't blame the kid for doing something that comes naturally for a child. You were all young once, or have you forgotten so quickly?

Jase

It's one thing for a kid to point a laser at aircraft because he thinks it is fun or whatever. I can find that somewhat excusable even though most kids by the age of 13 have enough common sense to know better. However this kid was clearly targeting the pilots and I do believe he was trying to distract them. For this kid there is no excuse...IMO.

Where does a 13 year old kid get a credit card/paypal to pay for the laser in the first place? The parents must have been aware of it, but never looked into the dangers of high powered green lasers, or just passed it off as a little flashlight. But then again, what little flashlight costs $100+?

Razako

He did it several times and it was clearly intended to mess with the pilots. No excuse for that.

The kid is at fault, but the parents are responsible too.

A kid who knows his laser and burn stuff would shine it at a pilot? Please. What a moron.

This kid was a fool. Anyone idiotic enough to point lasers at aircrafts in America obviously has ignored the news in the past few years. Every tiny thing is turned into a terrorist act by the media no matter how much the media is cluless on the topic.

Blaming the parents is the easy way out, and it is ridiculous. To say that a parent should supervise a kid every minute of the day is ridiculous. Im sure the parents did not know what he was doing-he probably went out one night and did it quietly.

But the police make such a big deal out of it. Odds are, it was probably the CORE laser and probably;y did absolutely nothing. From a helicopters viewpoint the dot would be so unfocused it would be like a dim streetlight.

They are making a big thing out of it and frankly are being wusses- and it is annoying to see a kid who probably wasnt thinking be prosecuted like a freakin criminal would

Razako

SteelRain said:
This kid was a fool. Anyone idiotic enough to point lasers at aircrafts in America obviously has ignored the news in the past few years. Every tiny thing is turned into a terrorist act by the media no matter how much the media is cluless on the topic.

Blaming the parents is the easy way out, and it is ridiculous. To say that a parent should supervise a kid every minute of the day is ridiculous. Im sure the parents did not know what he was doing-he probably went out one night and did it quietly.

But the police make such a big deal out of it. Odds are, it was probably the CORE laser and probably;y did absolutely nothing. From a helicopters viewpoint the dot would be so unfocused it would be like a dim streetlight.

They are making a big thing out of it and frankly are being wusses- and it is annoying to see a kid who probably wasnt thinking be prosecuted like a freakin criminal would
If it was a core then it is more understandable. Those are basically made for playing around with and pointing at stuff. If it was a burning laser then the kid was being a dumbass.
Reminds me of a story about some 10 year old girl getting suspended for taking a steak knife into school so she could cut her lunch. They might have ruined this poor girls life because of a zero tolerance policy.

At that age, kids in general are prone to do stupid things. As adults, constant supervision is not a solution, it is education. The parents should have properly stressed that lasers are not toys and more importantly, should have not made it easily accessible.

I wonder if we're going to see PROLASER stickers soon... ::)