Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Phlatlight 12w red LED flashlight!

Toke

No, a LED is not a point source, it is a "several/lots of millimetre square" source.
Incandescent or HID bulbs are closer to being point sources and therefore easier to focus in spotlights/throwers.

I agree that you should not look into a LED light.

Not sure why you need to argue why you think it's not a point source, when any light source can be considered as point, depending on the size of the emitter and the distence to the observer, but whatever.

Kauai

candlepowerforums.com may be a more appropriate place to discuss the merits and dangers of LED's. I found a more in-depth discussion of the Phatlight LED over there.

You might be interested to know that I obtained my Phatlight LED's to explore the potential healing qualities of far red light. Its dominant wavelength is listed as 625nm, which, as I understand it, is not far enough red for best results but it will have to suffice until I get some deeper red LED's (660-680nm) to play with.

I've only had one opportunity to try it (on a small flesh wound) and it seemed to work because it did heal quickly. But for truly meaningful results I should have inflicted a comparable wound on another finger and not irradiate that one. However, my dedication to science did not rise to the occasion. Call me a sissy but I will not intentionally inflict pain upon myself.

Further experiments will have to wait until I can get a suitable subject imprisoned in the pit in my basement.

Toke

Not sure why you need to argue why you think it's not a point source, when any light source can be considered as point, depending on the size of the emitter and the distence to the observer, but whatever.
I am just trying to be helpful, and it reminded me of a discussion of the optical/focus problems arising from treating real life light sources as points.:beer:

i got mine and its really nice and bright and iv ordered a green one 1 but i have 2 questions

1) whats the 8 pin connector called as i want to get one for the green led?
2) whats that pad its stuck to for with the red and black wires ?

regards