Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Perhaps best starting green laser?

Fenzir

Choosing a starting laser can be a treacherous task for people who are new to lasers other than the small-red-dot-your-science-teacher-uses lasers that are everywhere. When transitioning to a more powerful and maybe different colored laser, pictures can be deceiving and word descriptions do no justice. Now of course for your first laser you don't want to drain your wallet to get something too powerful; nor do you want to buy from a phoney website that advertises their products as way higher powered than they really are. I come here with something I'm SURE veterans around here are dead tired of answering, "What should my first laser be?". This question just flat out sucks.

FOR REFERENCE SAKE: YOUR LASER WILL LOOK LIKE THIS, IT WILL HAVE NO SCRATCHES ON IT! THE PAINT WILL BE ON THERE FINE AND IT WILL LOOK MORE PROFESSIONAL THAN MINE!
08061102491.jpg

The laser I will be reviewing is a slightly overspec 5mw green laser from an amazon dealer. I do not have a LPM, however of all the mass dirt cheap lasers out there advertised at 5mw, this is the strongest. However, this could be an exception. I have ordered 4 more of the exact same laser and will be eyeing it to see if they all have a comparable spot and beam or if I just got lucky with a pick.

I will also be comparing the 5mw green pen to the famous superbeast green from IQS for comparisons sake.

The link to the product is : 5mw 2 in 1 Green Laser Pointer Visible Beam FastUSAShip | eBay

The price is a very reasonable $8 for the laser it's self and a difraction head. (maybe batteries I forget :/) However, I bought this a while ago and do not have an out-of-case picture or what the packaging looks like. My next shipment is scheduled to arrive on april 21th, so I'll update then.

NOTE: There is absolutely no fog out on this night and it was rather windy.

It is a mid open build with a pen clip, black paint that chips really easily, but damn it's just paint.
Here is the laser when it's open. 2 AAA's will work and the diffraction head is shown.
dsc00379o.jpg

about 6 inches in length
dsc00380ce.jpg

dsc00381kp.jpg

As you notice, the lens is a bit back, it does not seal on the top so lint or pet hair can get in there and it's a bit more difficult to clean.
dsc00382kl.jpg

Comparison shots; 1mw red ($12 at radioshack) to "5mw" green
dsc00384mk.jpg

Nice clean dot; no artifacts
dsc00388mz.jpg

HOWEVER MY DAMN SUPERBEAST #100 HAS ARTIFACTS:mad:
dsc00387g.jpg

here's the pen in comparison to the red pen
dsc00392g.jpg

Superbeast (left) to the pen (right)
dsc00393fw.jpg

Beamshot of pen with no fog and an okay camera at best being pointed at black cloth to prevent from a lot of reflection
dsc00395a.jpg

into the trees beamshot. Safely away from ground level and there aren't any sky scrapers around so it was in a safe environment.
dsc00397c.jpg

Red on trees
dsc00400as.jpg

Here's the fog shots. I don't have a fog machine so I took all these pictures in the bathrom:na:
dsc00407uz.jpg

perpendicular to how I was holding camera
dsc00408v.jpg

here's the red; it's rather sexy actually. Might get one with a visible beam at a later time.
dsc00404u.jpg

Round up; superbeast on left, green pen in middle, 1mw red on right
dsc00409do.jpg

superbeast on left, green pen in middle, 1mw red on right
dsc00410c.jpg

Almost forgot about diffraction head! Once you screw it into the top (clockwise) you can twist the top of it left or right, resulting in organized movement of many little dots, without the head it's self unscrewing. To me, it looks like a bunch of fireflies in a jar being shooken up, my brother says gas molecules. To take it off, simply grab lower where the base of it is that articulates with the laser body it's self and turn counter clockwise.
dsc00411ux.jpg

dsc00412nr.jpg

dsc00413d.jpg

If you would like any other information added, comment below.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Helios

If you endorsing the seller than this is a fine place for this thread.

what happened to the black paint!? haha looks like its gotten quite a bit of use. Its durable in that case.

alf638

Nice review, I bet the loss of paint is from carrying it in the pocket of jeans, happens to me all the time;)
Anyway, +1 for a good review and a good choice for a first laser.

Fenzir

the origional safety sticker got loose and when it was half on I just pulled it off and a chunk of paint came off with it. And after that, all the adjacent paint became to come off really easily. I'm ordering a 405 and a 650 from the same seller, again be here on april 21st so I'll brief over those aswell. Again both advertised at "5mw" So I'de give this guy a leg up over other sellers.