Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

pentium Oem heatsink for 3.5 diode host

I drilled and tapped the copper round piece of a pentium Oem heat sink. I placed a 3.5 diode in a copper module head and screwed it into the sink. Im using an SBX 2 driver running at 4.0 amps . The laser output is about 5-5.2 W. I also placed sinks on the driver. Even after running 10 minutes , the heat sink is barely warm. This is a great sink and host in my opinion. It costs nothing if you have one lying around. Even if you buy one, it's not going to set you back much at all.

Have fun / Be safe -Wolfram :)

Hey RB, I dont have my camera right now , but it is easy to do. Drill a hole through the center of the copper part of the sink ( I use a drill press ) slightly smaller than the module. Then take a tap the same diameter and thread size (fine) as the DTR copper module , and tap the hole in the sink about 1/8 inch. Place the diode in the sink , use a little sink compound (a smidge) on the thread ( this is assuming that the wires are attached) and then screw in the module.
The wires go through the hole out the hollow back and to your driver and power supply.
You can replace/ use the fan also, But you will need 12v for that. I havent found the need for it.
You can try it yourself if you have a drill and taps. The copper is about 1/4 inch thick!
If I can get my camera i'll post pics. But , it is pretty self explanatory.

- Wolfram