Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Partially Broken Rayfoss laser

Welp i bought THIS LASER from Rayfoss.com, it arrived this morning, and worked fine throughout the day, then around 1 or so i noticed the output changing in an odd way. [note this is my second 445nm laser, i have and used goggles]
Now, after 3 hours of trying to figure out the problem, its the end cap. The button no longer works. Um... any advice?

Ya- I bought a 300mw 405nm laser from them and it was really hard to screw the cap on. I eventually got it on- make sure you have it on all the way. Could you record a video or some pictures? Also- try contacting Rayfoss. They have REALLY great Customer Support

Well i shot them an e-mail around 2 today, still no reply so i came here ;)

The cap screws on easily, it all fits well its just that whenever I press the button it does nothing, the mechanism inside the button isn't performing properly. Seems to me the spring is out of place but i havent yet figured out how to take it apart...
Edit:
From your review your 405 is the exact same host as mine. So just imagine the button not clicking or performing correctly when you press it.

edit two: My assumption was right, the spring isn't in the right spot, a dab of solder should fix that nicely

Final edit: Worked for 5 clicks. sending a second e-mail.

Last edited:

Helios

Well i shot them an e-mail around 2 today, still no reply so i came here ;)

The cap screws on easily, it all fits well its just that whenever I press the button it does nothing, the mechanism inside the button isn't performing properly. Seems to me the spring is out of place but i havent yet figured out how to take it apart...
Edit:
From your review your 405 is the exact same host as mine. So just imagine the button not clicking or performing correctly when you press it.

edit two: My assumption was right, the spring isn't in the right spot, a dab of solder should fix that nicely

Final edit: Worked for 5 clicks. sending a second e-mail.

When you say worked for 5 clicks do you mean that it is broken again?

Clicky switches seem to break or never function correctly quite often. You can usually buy a replacement switch for mere cents and replace it or you can send it back to rayfoss and they will fix it or send you a new one. If you try to fix it first yourself you will lose your warranty which you may already have when you soldered something.

Helios

I order mine from priceangels.com but it takes about a month. You will have to take it apart to see what style of switch it is.

I dont think radioshack will have a replacement but I could be wrong.

Ash

I had a rayfoss pointer where the clicky broke and I emailed Faona (rayfoss contact) and she sent me a new one right away (still took a few weeks). you may want to just ask for a new switch from them. Also, it may just be that your switch assembly is loose. Have you tried to take it apart and re-fit it together?

Just remember - china is 12 hours ahead of us. If you sent it at 2 Faona will probably e sleeping. She usually replies around 11 PM .

@helios I plan to go out towards a mall with a radioshack in it tomorrow anyway, so its not really a waste of gas (need new shoes, fricking puppy...)

@ash Oh if that's the case I'll ask for a new switch instead of a new end cap. Also, I have tried taking it apart again, I'm not too sure why, but the components (spring) inside always seem to be loosening up... every time i re-fit the spring it works ~5 times

@tthudium I'm surprised I didn't think of that before... Heh... I'll be sure to stay on around 11

Ash

Sounds like its not making contact. Tell Rayfoss and they will probably send a new one to you free.

Just received an email, and they're shipping a new button for free so you're right ash
psychics...
So now i can do whatever i want with this button... eh. I'll stick with the hulking arctic host for the time being.
Only reason i got this laser is for the waterproof and for its small size anyway.

Last edited: