Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

over-speced lasers came in 405nm (burns!)

last night my x2 405nm lasers came in! the color is amazing :wave: i have cut and put holes in electrical tape , matches smoke (need more patience) and i have punctured holes in white baloons w/ sharpie dot on them. all of these were done w/ magnify glass but i believe i could smoke electrical tape w/o one. pics coming up at the end :) these lasers were purchased from the thread about the overspec violets (i would link it but they are out of stock :()
i bought 2 of the 3 left, i was tempted to buy the last 3 but that would be to selfish. so one lucky person got the last one.
so im suspecting the phr-803 is inside? and my main Q is how do these work w/ x2 1.5V AAA batts? i will probably pick up some liths. soon to increase output and batt life.
BTW i used all the safety precautions! (i knew you guys were wondering ;))
BEAMSHOTS!- (this is the last image make sure to click prev. on the right side to see the rest)

:beer: Justin
also the dot gets pretty ugly at a distance, like a baseball size! :( soon i will build a phr though after my lpc-826

Last edited:

If you decide to go with lithiums in that you will need to run only a single battery or you will kill the laser instantly and even one battery is a risk since its 4.2V peak instead of the lasers normal 3V peak. Look around for a AAA spacer to take up the space of the second battery if do decide on going through with it.

The output is rated at 5mW but they are overspec by a ways.

Its possible that it is using a PHR-803 but I forget what voltage they require. Depending on that the driver would be a simple bucking driver or a boost driver.

yes i was thinking that the lithiums may be too much... but i was not sure what driver would be inside (i was thinking boost) but i thought it may be a 803t because its case +'ve and around the output of one most likely, i also dont know of any weaker 405nm diodes.
and how could the driver be a buck the foward voltage would be lower than 3v?
EDIT- it seems the phr-803t needs about 5v supplied so if it is an 803 than the driver is a boost and one lithium should be fine i think. but we still dont know what diode it is for all i know two liths would be fine :thinking: and not a boost driver

Last edited:
I tried w/ a magnifier lens, it was easy to set off a flash paper w/ mine! 5mW? ... mine is really output 87mW :p GH

Last edited:
yes i was thinking that the lithiums may be too much... but i was not sure what driver would be inside (i was thinking boost) but i thought it may be a 803t because its case +'ve and around the output of one most likely, i also dont know of any weaker 405nm diodes.
and how could the driver be a buck the foward voltage would be lower than 3v?
EDIT- it seems the phr-803t needs about 5v supplied so if it is an 803 than the driver is a boost and one lithium should be fine i think. but we still dont know what diode it is for all i know two liths would be fine :thinking: and not a boost driver

The 803T is case neutral and I believe the 805T is case negative...

Normally an 803T can be run off a simple and cheap linear with 2 batteries, such as a Atma or Moh linear at 120 mA. A boost is better, but you dont really need it at such a low current...:beer:

My point about the driver is you could probably get away with a single lithium but don't yell at me if it shortens the lifespan of the laser. Also, it doesn't really matter what the diode requires in the case of a cheapo pen laser like this. It would be easy enough for them to electrically insulate the diode since I doubt they care much about proper heatsinking anyway. I would suspect the use of the cheapest 405nm diode would be used and it may even be a diode that we don't know of. Anyway, use a lithium at your own risk but my suggestion would be to be cautious about duty cycles even if it doesn't feel warm its possible that its heating up internally and just has really bad heatsinking. My friend burnt out his green cheapo pointer by running it for like 10+ minutes once and it didn't even feel warm externally but I popped it open and the driver was burning hot even a few minutes after it died.

grainde said:
The 803T is case neutral and I believe the 805T is case negative...

Normally an 803T can be run off a simple and cheap linear with 2 batteries, such as a Atma or Moh linear at 120 mA. A boost is better, but you dont really need it at such a low current...
thanks for this info grainde :)

ApexProxy said:
My point about the driver is you could probably get away with a single lithium but don't yell at me if it shortens the lifespan of the laser. Also, it doesn't really matter what the diode requires in the case of a cheapo pen laser like this. It would be easy enough for them to electrically insulate the diode since I doubt they care much about proper heatsinking anyway. I would suspect the use of the cheapest 405nm diode would be used and it may even be a diode that we don't know of. Anyway, use a lithium at your own risk but my suggestion would be to be cautious about duty cycles even if it doesn't feel warm its possible that its heating up internally and just has really bad heatsinking. My friend burnt out his green cheapo pointer by running it for like 10+ minutes once and it didn't even feel warm externally but I popped it open and the driver was burning hot even a few minutes after it died.

alright well im fine w/ two AAA i guess and yes i doubt they heatsink this very well except modules fit pretty snug in these pens (ive gutted a broken greenie pen) but i can assure you the driver was not heatsinked and i dont think they give you a duty cycle because "its a 5mw violet" and most people buying it wont know what they are talking about. the longest ive ran it was a few minutes so far which was a few mins ago cutting some electrical tape :whistle: the head felt a bit warm but i dont think it was warm enough. i also have the other one i only used for about 3 mins total so far and i put it back in the little bubble wrap bag.

so i guess this is an unknown cheap diode that could have any pinout... using a boost driver most likely.