Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

over 2w laser towards the sea

I brought my 2w laser to a vacation to the beach, can I safely point it towards the sea? If so, is it safe to look at the beam?

It seems cool to see the beam defract, that if it is safe to see that at all..

Also, how about during rainy night? Would the water droplets made it dangerous?

Generally, pointing a laser towards anywhere were there MIGHT be people-on boats/ships, in this case- is a BAD idea. Especially 2 watts, that will go a long way- you may be hitting someone in the eye that is out on a boat, without knowing it.

Besides hitting a boat.. How about the reflection as it hits the water surface itself? Is it going to be safe?

You should be OK as the divergence will quickly spread out the beam... I know i shouldnt be saying this but with a blue laser, if you cant see them (people) your beam will be so wide by the time it hits them (IF it does) that I doubt it will do damage. This is just me though....

Even if you THINK you MIGHT see a boat, dont do it...

Forgive me if im wrong...

Last edited:
You should be OK as the divergence will quickly spread out the beam... I know i shouldnt be saying this but with a blue laser, if you cant see them (people) your beam will be so wide by the time it hits them (IF it does) that I doubt it will do damage. This is just me though....

Even if you THINK you MIGHT see a boat, dont do it...

Forgive me if im wrong...

I agree with this. The divergence of a 445nm is pretty bad. So as long as you don't see a boat, I'm sure it will be fine to shine over the sea. To be extra cautious though, you can scan for boats with binoculars just to be sure.

In all honesty even though 445nm has bad divergence I still wouldn't point it out into the sea.

It is possible that you scan to make sure nobody could be hit but you never know what might happen, it only take 1 second for blindness.

Nevertheless, you can do as you wish :beer: but im just pointing out it may not be worth the risk if something does happen.