Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Output problem with my Odicforce red laser

chefla

To measure the current you unscrew the tailcap (the part with the switch), just as you would if you replaced the batteries. But you leave the batteries in the host. You take your DMM, set it to mA or A and make a connection with the leads from the DMM between the battery and the housing. Be careful, this will fire up your laser don't look into the beam! This will give you a reading of the current that flows from your batteries via the driver through the laser diode (and back to your batteries).

chefla

I forgot, my batteries have 3.47V when fully charged. Which charger did you use?

Daz

When I do that I don't get any reading on the DMM nor does it start up the laser!

chefla

You have got no reading on the DMM? Have you measured any currents before with it? Is it working and set up correctly? Maybe is its fuse blown?
Ok, I took a pic. May that explains how to measure tailcap current.
p1090780s.jpg

Make sure that you touch bare metal. Don't touch the black outside of the host.
p1090781s.jpg

One to the bare metal, the other to the bottom of the battery.

Daz

Thanks for the pictures. This is what I did. The DMM works for the readings so can I assume it'll work for current as well?

chefla

Are you referring to voltage readings? Well, every "multimeter" I know can measure voltages AND currents. You might want to read your manual on how to correctly set up yours for current measurements.
Provided your DMM is set up in the correct way for current readings, you have good contact on the battery and the housing and still no reading, then the only thing left would be a blown fuse. If that is the case here, then there is no current flowing through your DMM and your laser won't light up. Read your manual and learn how to find the fuse on yours.

Back to your laser. If you look at my first picture and compare it to your laser, does yours have a similar "halo"? I would like to know if this is a particular issue with my lens or if all of their lenses are like that. Thanks.