Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

output power dropped after 2 days

Hey everyone, i just bought a 300mw red laser pointer from spymodex.com. it was great fun, until on the second day, while messing with magnafine glasses, the output power dropped to 75-50mw. i dont know if I somehow broke the diode with the glass, but im really confused. im not sure if spymodex will give me a refund/new laser, so if anyone knows something that could pump up the power, please help me out!

Oooh dear. spymodex are widely regarded as a scam around here. I'd say try and get your money back, sounds like the diode blew. Well, maybe, when a diode blows it tends to go to around 5mW.

You can buy a much better red laser off some of the people on these forums, and for much cheaper as well :)

daguin

tht1guyuknow said:
Hey everyone, i just bought a 300mw red laser pointer from spymodex.com. it was great fun, until on the second day, while messing with magnafine glasses, the output power dropped to 75-50mw. i dont know if I somehow broke the diode with the glass, but im really confused. im not sure if spymodex will give me a refund/new laser, so if anyone knows something that could pump up the power, please help me out!

Replace or recharge the batteries. Wiggle the connections. Make sure that nothing is blocking the lens. If none of that works, there is the possibility that you reflected the beam directly back into the diode. That can damage the crystal.

Peace,
dave

the laser may only put out 5mw, but still, it has a nice casing, do you think it would be possible for me to buy a diode that could handle the power, and instal it in the broken lasers casing?

daguin

tht1guyuknow said:
the laser may only put out 5mw, but still, it has a nice casing, do you think it would be possible for me to buy a diode that could handle the power, and instal it in the broken lasers casing?

It is certainly possible. How handy are you? What kinds of tools do you have available (and know how to use)?

There are several tutorials in the forum that will give you an idea what you are up against. However, you will NOT find a tutorial for this particular laser housing. It will present different challenges and opportunities.

Peace,
dave

It is possible to change the laser diode, in fact the poster above used this case to put a high power violet laser in.