Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Outdoor Tripwire Laser

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for an outdoor tripwire. I was looking at having a laser that can point at least 1 mile. It will need to be bounced off of mirrors or something of that sort in order to go 90 degrees at corners of the perimeter.

My main concern is

-diffusion of the laser during the day
-bouncing the laser around corners of the perimeter
-potentially use a infrared laser (after testing with a green laser) so the tripwire cannot be seen

Do you guys have any suggestions. Is this something that will be difficult/impossible?

Thanks for your help

joeyss

You're gonna need at least a 10x or even 15x beam expander if you're working with that kind of range and a 5mw IR laser.

You're gonna need at least a 10x or even 15x beam expander if you're working with that kind of range and a 5mw IR laser.

So it is possible.
Would you use just one beam expander? And would you use it at the source (where the laser pointer is).
Also, is it okay to keep the laser running 24/7?
And (I haven't researched this part yet) do you think the laser will melt the laser detector on the arduino? I'm thinking I'll have to "filter" the laser before letting it hit the laser detector

Thanks for your reply.

joeyss

At the source.
And if it's a low powered laser than yeah.
5 mw won't melt anything.

Also you could use multiple lasers and detectors to make things a bit easier. Then one bump won't throw the entire system off, just one side. Also, you might not have to get a costly expander, if the lasers have good divergence. :)

joeyss

Also you could use multiple lasers and detectors to make things a bit easier. Then one bump won't throw the entire system off, just one side. Also, you might not have to get a costly expander, if the lasers have good divergence. :)

He can use a pair of binoculars.

they work