Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ordering Parts

Seffers93

Hope this isn’t too spammy of a post. I’m just really excited for my first build.

Started ordering parts today. So far just a couple pen hosts from Laser66 and a 3A Selectable Test Load from SurvivalLaserUSA. Currently have parts “in the cart” from DTR - a Sharp 488nm 55mW diode in a 12mm module and a G-8 lens.

Still doing research on drivers. I was looking at the Micro Flexdrive V5, but the output voltage is 2.0V - 5.5V. The data sheet from the diode shows operating voltage at 6V with a max of 7.5V. I plan on pushing the current a bit to hopefully get above 488nm. The data sheet shows it’ll reach 495nm (which is what I’m really after) at 135mA, with normal being 487nm at 105mA. DTR also posted some test results on this matter.

I plan on powering this with some 10440’s I got for my Sanwu Pocket 445nm. 320mAh, 3.7V.
I also already have a soldering iron, multimeter, wire, third hand and the basic tool works.

Probably won’t bother bugging everyone with parts updates, but I’ll definitely document my build and post once it’s finished.

Any advice is appreciated, but not begging for it. I plan on researching more before ordering the diode and driver.

Thanks for reading!

1) For 495nm this is the biggest point - That's not how the datasheet should be read. 495nm is the upper bound for manufacturing tolerances - it is not a function of current and wavelength. If you want 495nm, you'll either need to buy a binned diode, or buy a bunch and bin them yourself and hope you're lucky. More recent batches I've seen tend to lean to the lower 483nm bound rather than the upper 495nm bound.

2) Do some more research on drivers. The micro flex will work with the sharp 488s at low powers but it may not for higher powers. Look at the datasheet for expected voltage given input current, and compare it to the output voltage range on the driver. Remember LDs need constant current (CC), not constant voltage (CV) unlike most LEDs.

3) Just use a single 10440 and a spacer in the pen. Look at the driver specs for input voltage range.

4) Sort of off topic, does laser66 still sell hosts? I'm having a hard time finding them on their site.

Seffers93

1) For 495nm this is the biggest point - That's not how the datasheet should be read. 495nm is the upper bound for manufacturing tolerances - it is not a function of current and wavelength. If you want 495nm, you'll either need to buy a binned diode, or buy a bunch and bin them yourself and hope you're lucky. More recent batches I've seen tend to lean to the lower 483nm bound rather than the upper 495nm bound.

2) Do some more research on drivers. The micro flex will work with the sharp 488s at low powers but it may not for higher powers. Look at the datasheet for expected voltage given input current, and compare it to the output voltage range on the driver. Remember LDs need constant current (CC), not constant voltage (CV) unlike most LEDs.

3) Just use a single 10440 and a spacer in the pen. Look at the driver specs for input voltage range.

4) Sort of off topic, does laser66 still sell hosts? I'm having a hard time finding them on their site.

Definitely good to know. I appreciate the tips.

And yes, they’re still selling the pen hosts. I believe they’re out of the chrome ones though. It was kinda hard to find on their site (I’m on mobile so maybe the layout gets a little messed up). But if you go to their Products tab, then Module Housing Components, about halfway down that page click on Green Pointer Hosts.

Hope that helps.

Hi Z,
I have Laser 66 hosts I bought a bunch a while back.
Rich:)

Like Zach told you these Sharp diodes can be all over the place depending on which iteration you get. Sans a spectrometer you can use a diffraction grating to measure the wavelength, but that can be cumbersome. I have binned many of these diodes in the past for many members here. Haven't had the need to use my spectrometer recently though.

Seffers93

Like Zach told you these Sharp diodes can be all over the place depending on which iteration you get. Sans a spectrometer you can use a diffraction grating to measure the wavelength, but that can be cumbersome. I have binned many of these diodes in the past for many members here. Haven't had the need to use my spectrometer recently though.
Definitely don’t have a spectrometer. But as long as it looks awesome, I’m okay with it. Will just have to be patient until I can get my hands on a 495nm and compare the two. Won’t complain about more lasers 🤷🏻‍♂️