Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Orange reflection from a Green laser?

Here's my 5mw Greenie reflection off a white wall, plainly green dot....
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t22/horderules/photo-1.jpg

But here is same laser reflecting off my red wool Christmas stocking, Orange dot...
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t22/horderules/photo-2.jpg

Can anyone tell me how a laser, transmitting only green light, can reflect orange?
The target isn't absorbing and reradiating the second color is it?

Every thing I've shined it at reflects green except one type of red wool and one piece of pink plastic....
Puzzled.

If you like that fluorescence trick, get yourself a cheap 405nm laser. A lot of stuff fluoresces under 405nm light!

Skip to :57 of this video:

So I was bored the other day with my uv flashlight. I have no idea why but I started going through the contents of my wallet and ended up being pretty well surprised.

All my visa card have a visa logo style V That shows up over the visa logo in the bottom right hand corder and the words "visa" over and over on the signature strips.

My corporate American express card was even cooler with the word "AMEX" on the front and an entire roman style logo in the center of it.

The biggest surprise was that my Indiana state drivers license has my name and date over my main photo and has an entire extra photo of me that only shows up under black light.

Very cool stuff that I didn't know anything about. Give it a try with cards in your wallet and let me know if anything interesting comes up. :)

Just don't use a high powered laser unless you refocus it first. You might not want to melt your credit cards or your drivers license. ;). Oh and you will need a 405nm laser (or 445 maybe), not a green one like in the op

Last edited:
Excellent. Ty for the rep too.
Ordered my 405 today, cant wait to try everything. I'll have to order a uranium marble too.

xoul

Sort of on subject - does anyone know where you can get a larger uranium "crystal ball"? I was curious if the beam would leave a fluorescent trails inside the crystal, or if the whole ball would illuminate. Either way, a larger than a marble would be cool to me.

Sort of on subject - does anyone know where you can get a larger uranium "crystal ball"? I was curious if the beam would leave a fluorescent trails inside the crystal, or if the whole ball would illuminate. Either way, a larger than a marble would be cool to me.

It would probably be pretty hard to get a ball like that.
Copied from Wikipedia:
"Otherwise, modern uranium glass is now mainly limited to small objects like beads or marbles as scientific or decorative novelties."

Oh, also, fluorescence is what makes your white clothing seem to glow blue when exposed to uv light.

I have some Uranium Glass shot glasses, and if you shine 405/445 through the thick base you can see the path glow brightly while the rest glows dimly.

Tip; look for a vaseline glass razor hone; it's a nice thick slab of uranium glass and great for fluorescence.

US bills over $1 have small strips embedded into them that are visible when held up to light. Each strip contains the words "USA FIVE" on a $5 and so on. However, each strip will glow a different color. Try it out if you've got some cash, the 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100's all have a different colored strip!

Oh, and Colorado driver's licenses don't seem to do anything. :I

So I was bored the other day with my uv flashlight. I have no idea why but I started going through the contents of my wallet and ended up being pretty well surprised.

All my visa card have a visa logo style V That shows up over the visa logo in the bottom right hand corder and the words "visa" over and over on the signature strips.

My corporate American express card was even cooler with the word "AMEX" on the front and an entire roman style logo in the center of it.

The biggest surprise was that my Indiana state drivers license has my name and date over my main photo and has an entire extra photo of me that only shows up under black light.

Very cool stuff that I didn't know anything about. Give it a try with cards in your wallet and let me know if anything interesting comes up. :)

Just don't use a high powered laser unless you refocus it first. You might not want to melt your credit cards or your drivers license. ;). Oh and you will need a 405nm laser (or 445 maybe), not a green one like in the op

Thats awesome, same with all my cards, and My Drivers License looks really cool. I didnt know why at the airport they shine a UV light on your license until now.

Paddy

I'm glad i'm not the only one who tried using a 405 laser on the contents of my wallet lol.
Also if you can get a low powered green laser (i use a 5mw) you can get a pretty nice yellow beam if you shine it along the top of fluffy red fabric.
If you have a fan with pretty big blades/width of blades you can get a cool beam effect if you shine it through diagonally too. :D