Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics pen laser

Would 4.2v kill the pen laser from Optotronics? I was thinking of using a 10440 lithium battery with a dummy AAA so I wouldn't have to waste so much money on batteries.

Hmm, I wouldn't try it.

Just get some rechargeable AAA's, they're really common :)

I have Duracell 1000mah AAA's and they last for about 10-20 minutes per charge before the laser dims and you can barely see the beam. Eneloops work for about 5 minutes before the laser dims.

I use Nimh batteries for my pen lasers, they work great! They last for ages and are rechargeable, so I can reuse them!

They're really common too, I just buy them down at the local supermarket :)

My optotronics pen is the picky one out of the three I bought (1 for me, 2 for friends). It wouldn't lase at all when I used eneloops that weren't fully charged, but the same eneloops worked in the other two lasers. :-/

Yep sounds like your typical NewWish laser. :-/ A 10440 battery won't last as long as the AAAs in your laser IIRC. I think a while back somebody tried something like this and it fried the driver.

styropyro said:
Yep sounds like your typical NewWish laser. :-/ A 10440 battery won't last as long as the AAAs in your laser IIRC. I think a while back somebody tried something like this and it fried the driver.
Fried the driver?! :eek: I don't think I'll try now. :-[

freshert said:
Would 4.2v kill the pen laser from Optotronics? I was thinking of using a 10440 lithium battery with a dummy AAA so I wouldn't have to waste so much money on batteries.

I wouldn't try so myself. Like others suggested, get some nice rechargeable NiMH AAAs.

Ace82

yes, get some nice NiMh AAA, although sounds like you already have some. DO NOT give it extra power. But, it sounds like it could be the typical unconsistant New Wish brand laser with loose contacts, misaligned crystals, unadjusted pot...etx. You might just be SOL. ::)