Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics discussion-split from other thread

$1000.00

I have an RPL300 that was recently repaired and I believe it may becoming a freak unit.  I hope it doesn't die.

Nordhavn said:
$1000.00

I have an RPL300 that was recently repaired and I believe it may becoming a freak unit.  I hope it doesn't die.
Don't worry, if it was purchased after 7/13/2007 I believe this is the date that we changed over to a 12 month warranty and if it fails in that time period in normal use, we will repair it and the only costs you pay is the shipping costs to the optotronics office. We cover any costs of sending products to China for repair and even cover the costs from our offices to China for out of warranty repairs.

If one of our lasers even fails beyond our warranty period, we have special very low pricing on all repairs, so don't worry and just use your laser.

Jack

S

SenKat

I moved this here from the other thread, since it is not relevant to the topic.

bootleg2go said:
[quote author=Nordhavn link=1192033897/0#13 date=1192146886]$1000.00

I have an RPL300 that was recently repaired and I believe it may becoming a freak unit. I hope it doesn't die.
Don't worry, if it was purchased after 7/13/2007 I believe this is the date that we changed over to a 12 month warranty and if it fails in that time period in normal use, we will repair it and the only costs you pay is the shipping costs to the optotronics office. We cover any costs of sending products to China for repair and even cover the costs from our offices to China for out of warranty repairs.

If one of our lasers even fails beyond our warranty period, we have special very low pricing on all repairs, so don't worry and just use your laser.

Jack[/quote]

This was an out of warranty repair. Hint: this is the only silver RPL. :-X

barerpl-1.jpg

Haha, wow, how did that come about? If there's no paint on it, that unit should actually perform better than your average RPL. On the black RPLs there's paint in the threads that seriously screws up the heatsinking (the heatsink on top sure looks like a good disperser, but its pretty much thermally isolated from anything worth heatsinking)

S

SenKat

YO ! I think we should see MORE silver RPL's ! THAT looks REALLY nice !

Rhith

Or another question, if we got an RPL and removed the paint would it be out of warranty? ::)

I'm sure the warranty would be null and void.

All labels have to be removed.

The shutter assembly disassembled. Finned part removed, etc. I did NOT remove the guts but it wouldn't hurt if you're careless with stripping. (putting chemicals on that dissolve paint, not removing clothes!)

EDIT: I will add that everything was removed (laser module unscrewed from head) and 9 position switch/resistor network in tailcap taken out. The battery tube and switch/driver board was left inside. The laser module is the most fragile part. Also if want to preserve your collimation settings it's ok to leave the collimator inside the finned section but do be careful not to get anything on the collimator; especially in the inside!

About the warranty. It's not the end of the world if you need to service your laser! $100 plus what it costs to ship to Jack and back and you will have a new module installed. Even if you smack it with a hammer. I never asked Jack if they would charge more for a laser in pieces though. :eek:

And that's how it was done. Gel methylene chloride (the good stuff hehe) stripper dabbed on and allowed to sit for 30 minutes. Most of the paint just wipes off! A fine wire brush (bronze bristle) was used for the nooks and crannies including the threads. Finally it was semi-polished with fine steel wool and washed off.

EDIT2: I decided to leave the paint inside the grooves on the head. This gives it more of a "grille" look. I'm in the A/V biz and travel frequently and the laser goes with my gear. If ever asked by TSA it's always a microphone! It would pass as a wireless mic without the labels. Just don't have a battery in it and leave the switch on 0! LOL

I did not opt for a mirror finish as this laser gets used like a TOOL. This was the reason in the first place to do this as the black paint was wearing off on the edges and started looking quite ragged.

If these had the finish of the microfire warrior 3500 HID I have...DROOL!

It DOES cool better too. I got better run times with the bare laser at higher levels.

EDIT3:

I did coat the threads with Arctic Silver 5. Not sure if it helps or not but can't hurt. The cap with the resistors gets the hottest anyway.