Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

open can diode questions.

C

carulli

Hi everyone, I hove a couple of questions about open can diodes.
Firstly, how do i know if a diode is an open or closed can (pics would be nice) and if i got one how do i dentify which pins ar what.
Secondly, will they fit in an AixiZ housing, i have heard that they can be more powerful if you use a glass lense, do the AixiZ housing use glass or plastic lenses? What are the best housings to put these in?

chido

This is a closed can diode:
LaserDiodePinout.jpg

And this is an open can diode:
clip_image006.jpg

The pins on it are the same as the ones on the closed can diode.

Yes they will fit in an aixiz housing, when you buy one it comes with an acrylic lens, but you can buy an aixiz glass lens here.
Although these housings have been tested to be better if you want more power since the glass lens is directly in front of the diode, unlike the aixiz modules.

C

carulli

thanks, i just bought 3 aixiz glass lenses.
are the open can diodes as easy to extract as closed can? and what is the best model burner to get an open can out of, for power and easy removal.

C

carulli

Also i just noticed how fine the wires are inside the open can do you have to be realy careful extracting these or is it easy to remove these.

phenol

LG GSA-H55N/S are not bad. Extraction is a bit difficult w/o really sharp cutters or dremel. Many ppl here have harvested open cans from nec-optiarc 20x drives, including myself from their newest drive AD-7203S, which, to my greatest disappointment, didnt have an open can, but rather a flat frame resin diode that fits in nothing. just stay away from it. they improve specs of drives while cutting costs wherever possible. also dont get lite-ons, as they seem to have the short-die open can diode, which looks exactly like the photos above only that its chip is shorter. experiments have proven that it is not as sturdy and powerful as long-die open cans

If you do have to cut to free the diode, make sure u do it at an angle so debris cant get onto the laser chip.

BTW pioneer 20x are also good.

chido

Look at this thread for info on the Sony Nec-Optiarc drive. So far this happens to be the easiest DVD from which you can harvest an open can diode, all you have to do is to scrape the glue off the diode and it usually just pops out of the heatsink.

C

carulli

I just found out that newegg dosnt ship to Australia. are there any good burners with long open cans on e-bay?

C

carulli

Sorry for the double post but are ether of these the same as ones from new egg, i hope so  ;D , i canot post a link in this forum for some reason so i attached a word document with the url in it.

If one of them is which one.

edit: do not buy this burner it has a flat doide (not open or cloed can, see my post on page 2)

Attachments

• http.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 178
C

carulli

Im in Sydney, i was after a Sony Nec-Optiarc drive due to the open cans easy removal. i have already purchased one of the ones posted by me earlyer, when it arives i will post how easy the diode is to extract. The one i bought is not exactly the same as the one from new egg but it is still a Sony Nec-Optiarc.

also what is the best driver for these i have built a ddl driver for my bluray are the ddl drivers the best for these, what modifications are necisary.

chido

Just use a 3 ohm resistor to limit the current to 416mA, if you want to go easier on the diode then use a pot and set your desired current.

C

carulli

Wow thats alot of current is there any chance that that is to much, or do all open cans work on that current.

chido

Yup, for long open cans that seems to be the sweet spot, jayrob has been selling lots of lasers with open cans being driven at that current. So far all his costumers are very happy.
Look at this graph which shows the performance of long open can diodes made by Dr. Lava.

HighPowerLaserDiode3.PNG

C

carulli

do not buy from the web sit i posted above!!!! the diodes from those oned are flat and not open or closed cans. see pic:

Attachments

• untitled_024.JPG
    untitled_024.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 315