Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Olight SR90 or MG X-Thrower?

I'm looking for a bright flashlight to add to my light collection sometime in the next month, and am torn between two different lights: The Olight SR90, and the MG X-Thrower. Anyone have any experience with these?

I'm looking for mainly throw, as I have a Fenix TK-11 that I can use for "normal" use, so this will be more of a novelty light. ;) The SR90 has more lumens and an incredible throw using the SST-90 LED, while the X-Thrower uses the SST-50. The X-Thrower has more lumens/$ than the SR90, but the enormous rated output of the SR90 is making me think differently.

Any advice on which one I should get? Or possibly even a different light altogether? I'd prefer to stick with LED if possible, because of the better efficiency (longer runtimes) and cooler running temperatures, but I'm willing to switch to other kinds of illumination if they look good.

Shipping to Canada is a must, although most places in the US will do it. Special points if you find someone in the Toronto area who offers pickups. ;)

Links:
MG X-Thrower (800lm cool white)
Olight SR90 Intimidator (2200lm cool white)

Last edited:

Actually, I already got it. I purchased the smaller brother of the X-Thrower, called the P-Rocket. It's more of a flooder than a thrower, with a smaller host that I think will work nicely for me. And I got the SR90 at a place called Flashlights 'n Gear with a CPF discount code, so the total came to just under $400 USD total shipped.

Actually, I already got it. I purchased the smaller brother of the X-Thrower, called the P-Rocket. It's more of a flooder than a thrower, with a smaller host that I think will work nicely for me. And I got the SR90 at a place called Flashlights 'n Gear with a CPF discount code, so the total came to just under $400 USD total shipped.

Wait, you got both? Good choice then.
grin.gif

Yeah, I bought both. Figured two lights was better than one, and I could almost buy the second light with the money that I saved on the SR90 with the CPF code. :D

Does the discount work on all lights? I was planning on buying one soon, and I just noticed they have it.

Probably will. The code is cpf2010 for flashlightsngear.com, gives you 10% off. Shining Beam (where I got the MG P-Rocket) also has a 6% discount code, CPFuser. I think both are case-insensitive, but I'm putting them both as I found them on here.

Yeah, I bought both. Figured two lights was better than one, and I could almost buy the second light with the money that I saved on the SR90 with the CPF code. :D

Wow, it is so expensive you bought two ?
Do you have any special use the Olight SR90 and Olight SR91 ?

Does anyone really have any use for high powered lasers on here either? :p

Mostly just for fun, and also to say that I have one of the brightest commercially available LED flashlights.