Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Oiling Threads

Snecho

Well some of the higher quality cubes do cost quite a bit, >30usd per cube IIRC.
It mostly drained my wallet because i decided to collect a bunch. Nothing really special about being able to solve it, most people learn the method online and just memorize the algorithms to put the cube back into a solved state. But overall it is quite a fun hobby, the real lesson to be learnt from it is "when you face a big problem, break it down to smaller ones, and solve the smaller ones."

Anyway, i digress.

Here's the type of silicone based lubricant that i use for my hosts.

You can also use the silicone lube in RC cars. They are essentially the same stuff. Some are thicker and "stickier" and some are lighter and "runnier". I guess for our use case in laser hosts, the thicker ones would be better as we don't want any lube going where it shouldn't go.
[/URL]

You can also search the term "treadmill silicone oil". Once again its essentially silicone lube.

IMO almost any type of silicone lube can work, as long as it does not contain water.
Thanks, figures the link goes to a cubing site lol. Pretty cool stuff on there. Different lubes and cubes based on competition and preference..etc. i could see myself doing that kind of stuff 😃. I remember my friend was really into puzzles like that. He had a 15X15 or something crazy like that. He gave me this thing I have now, it's like a Rubik's Cube but it's a sphere and turns with gears.

Yeah, people look up the algorithm and stuff, I've always wanted to sit down and figure it out myself lol.

I went ahead and bought this Super Lube grease I mentioned for the tailcap:

https://www.harborfreight.com/85-gram-super-lube-grease-cartridge-93744.html

Funny thing is they have the same thing except silicone based.

However they have apparently regular silicone grease and O-ring silicone grease.

You think there's a difference? 🤔

Last edited:

Philipnzw

Thanks, figures the link goes to a cubing site lol. Pretty cool stuff on there. Different lubes and cubes based on competition and preference..etc. i could see myself doing that kind of stuff 😃. I remember my friend was really into puzzles like that. He had a 15X15 or something crazy like that. He gave this thing I have now, it's like a Rubik's Cube but it's a sphere and turns with gears.

Yeah, people look up the algorithm and stuff, I've always wanted to sit down and figure it out myself lol.

I went ahead and bought this Super Lube grease I mentioned for the tailcap: https://www.harborfreight.com/85-gram-super-lube-grease-cartridge-93744.html

Funny thing is they have the same thing except silicone based.

However they have apparently regular silicone grease and O-ring silicone grease.

You think there's a difference? 🤔

Hey if you ever try to attempt solving a Rubik's cube by yourself, I recommend watching a few videos on commutators and creating your own algorithms. It's much more rewarding than memorizing algorithms online.

Back to the lube topic. Well to be honest I don't really know what's the difference between silicone lube and o-ring silicone lube. Perhaps the stuff made for O-rings will serve better for o-rings, like the name implies.

The one with PTFE is basically silicone lube doped with very fine PTFE particles, kinda like mixing teflon tape into lube LMAO. The particles are supposed to help further reduce friction. I don't have any experience with PTFE doped lubes so I can't say much about it. But personally, I would not use it for the threads in the laser module since I don't know if PTFE has any reactions with high intensity laser light. I think the regular stuff will be the safest bet.

Snecho

Hey if you ever try to attempt solving a Rubik's cube by yourself, I recommend watching a few videos on commutators and creating your own algorithms. It's much more rewarding than memorizing algorithms online.
I guess what I meant was I don't know of any algorithms or anything, I've just always wanted to sit down and figure out how to put it into a solved state :)
Back to the lube topic. Well to be honest I don't really know what's the difference between silicone lube and o-ring silicone lube. Perhaps the stuff made for O-rings will serve better for o-rings, like the name implies.

The one with PTFE is basically silicone lube doped with very fine PTFE particles, kinda like mixing teflon tape into lube LMAO. The particles are supposed to help further reduce friction. I don't have any experience with PTFE doped lubes so I can't say much about it. But personally, I would not use it for the threads in the laser module since I don't know if PTFE has any reactions with high intensity laser light. I think the regular stuff will be the safest bet.
Oh wow, thanks for the tip on PTFE. I didn't know what that meant. Something to think about.

There's so many brands and types of grease out there. Both silicone, non-silicone. Some cure, some don't. Some are sprays. I really hope I get this nailed down.