Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Odin 5w blue laser will not turn on

Steven Reeves

Hi everyone, Steven Reeves here. I purchased an Odin 5W laser. the documentation says Jupiter laser. so I am not sure if I have a jupiter or an Odin or if they are one and the same lasers. mine worked great for a few days but now it will not turn on at all.
any suggestions? I have tried to remove the batteries and tried using it directly with just the power supply did not work, tried to charge the batteries in the external charger this did work to charge the batteries but the laser still will not power on even with the fully charged batteries.
thanks for your help.
-Steven.

Hi Steven. Have you tried to contact the seller? I don't know much about these lasers, other than that they are advertised as TEM00 at 5000 mW, which seems very difficult for me to believe is correct.

IF the laser driver does not have reverse voltage protection, it is possible that inserting the batteries backward could fry the driver. It's also possible that the batteries are not making a good connection, or that the batteries are no good, or that the diode is junk, or a number of other things.

I'm certain though, that if this is a new laser, contacting the seller would be the best first step, before anything else anyone could advise.

Steven Reeves

Hi Steven. Have you tried to contact the seller? I don't know much about these lasers, other than that they are advertised as TEM00 at 5000 mW, which seems very difficult for me to believe is correct.

IF the laser driver does not have reverse voltage protection, it is possible that inserting the batteries backward could fry the driver. It's also possible that the batteries are not making a good connection, or that the batteries are no good, or that the diode is junk, or a number of other things.

I'm certain though, that if this is a new laser, contacting the seller would be the best first step, before anything else anyone could advise.
Ok thanks, yes I have contacted the seller to see what I can do. Still waiting for them to respond. What do you question about Tem00 at 5000mw?

Sowee7

its is not tem00, it is near tem00, remember this is most probably using a multimode diode, multimode diodes would never be tem00, if it was dpss, that would be a different story but it is impossible to fit a 5000mw blue dpss in a pointer.

Steven Reeves

I see, I am still learning what all of these terms mean. This one is fairly large its 360mm long and 36mm wide. Not a small pointer style.

Steven Reeves

its is not tem00, it is near tem00, remember this is most probably using a multimode diode, multimode diodes would never be tem00, if it was dpss, that would be a different story but it is impossible to fit a 5000mw blue dpss in a pointer.
I found that if I remove the endcap sometimes called the tail that has the key on off switch in it. and cross connect the battery to the frame then the laser will power on. so these is something wrong with the key switch. In speaking with another manufacturer Biglasers.com the informed me that "
TEM00 refers to how the beam is produced (the shape) and it is circular/oblong and the base, Wikipedia has some good information: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transverse_mode
Scroll down to the "Lasers" section, that image diagram gives a good visual representation of what the different TEM modes could be and look like. Basically it means TEM00 is a solid singular beam, it doesn't matter what the mW power is. A low power laser can be TEM00 but so can any other power"