Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Obstacle Course - Which laser to get?

jArdi

So I'm sure everybody here has at some point been linked this scene from big bang theory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFol-Aiz8MQ

Well, you guessed it. I'm planning on replicating it for some of my friends [and I] who would absolutely want to play. The setup and how I will be recognizing the whether the beam is broken or not will be no problem, i already have that figured out.
As for making the beam appear, I will be using a fog machine set to go off at a certain set interval, as well as probably some time of spray (I will try to find what works best and stays in the air for a while, as long as doesnt get you [that] high)

But what I need help with is figuring what type of lasers to use, and for the cheapest. I've searched around for a bit and read all the other threads about it, but would also like to see if anybody has any new suggestions. I would like to keep the power level less than 10mw, preferably around 5mw. Anybody who is playing will always be wearing glasses, just to keep safe.

I read about one user who wanted to use these
but another user said that they where too low power for the beam to appear with fog.

I would absolutely much rather green lasers - not only because it will look nicer, but because its much brighter. The issue is, they are much more expensive. So far, the cheapest green module I've found is this one
but getting 10 of them for $9 each is wayy too much for me.

As for red, they are super cheap and mostly in my budget (around $50, but thats pushing it.)
It would be absolutely great if i can trust these, but $6 for 10 of them seems a little too good to be true. Has anybody bought them yet? Is the beam visible in a dark room with fog?

The other current alternative would be either this, or this, but i dont see much of a difference between the two.

So really, what my question is, has anybody ever used any of these? Will they be able to run for an extended period of time without dying out? And does anybody recommend a better place to get around 10 of the cheapest possible red or green laser?

Also for mirrors, I havent searched much on it, but all i know is i need a first surface mirror :p

thanks to anybody in advance!

Last edited:

I am no expert on the mirrors but couldn't you just replicate that with one stronger green and a bunch of mirrors. If that would work I think it would be cheaper. And i hadn't seen that episode yet props on trying to recreate it you should upload some videos if you do it.

jArdi

I am no expert on the mirrors but couldn't you just replicate that with one stronger green and a bunch of mirrors. If that would work I think it would be cheaper. And i hadn't seen that episode yet props on trying to recreate it you should upload some videos if you do it.

I probably can, but I want to the person to see where they messed up - and when they do, an alarm will sound (similar to one in the episode) and the laser will blink a few times and then go back on.

And thanks, I most definitely will :)

Ahh yeah you will need more than one but i would at least reflect it one or two times it will look like there are more. good luck

I have bought a couple 532 modules off ebay and all you need is one 60-100mw. you can win these from $13-$20. Here is one I just got in they take around 2 weeks to get.

3VDC 532nm Green Beam Laser Lazer 50mW 60mW 70mW Diode Module Stage Ligting | eBay

Here is a picture of what I received. In the video he used hairspray or something I just lit a match.

2013-01-27143026_zps63b62497.jpg

For the goggles for this, make sure they are decent wrap-around goggles, and preferably something with a strap on the back. I can see someone getting hit in the corner of the eye or their goggles falling off.

No point in doing this with goggles... how are you gonna see the beams?

Either give up or use weaker green lasers (<10mW, metered) and take a lot of caution to avoid a direct hit. They should be barely visible in total darkness without fog and very clear with fog. You could buy cheap ebay pens instead of the modules, they are cheaper but make sure you meter them to be sure they're not too powerful.

Either give up or use weaker green lasers (<10mW, metered) and take a lot of caution to avoid a direct hit. They should be barely visible in total darkness without fog and very clear with fog. You could buy cheap ebay pens instead of the modules, they are cheaper but make sure you meter them to be sure they're not too powerful.

This is a very good point I hadn't thought of. If you want this to work, you'll probably need to get 5mw modules, and actually make sure they are 5mw (including the ir) as chances are they will be overspec and have ir leakage.

jArdi

For the goggles for this, make sure they are decent wrap-around goggles, and preferably something with a strap on the back. I can see someone getting hit in the corner of the eye or their goggles falling off.

This is a very good point I hadn't thought of. If you want this to work, you'll probably need to get 5mw modules, and actually make sure they are 5mw (including the ir) as chances are they will be overspec and have ir leakage.

Anyone playing will probably have goggles on. If they dont want them, they wont be forced, but ill encourage them. I havent found many wrap around goggles, but if anything I can cut out and replace the lenses in pool goggles (foolish, but it will still work. And it will be dark with a blacklight so you wont see the person much anyway)
The only goggles i have found for cheap go from 600-700nm. Would it be better to put an IR filter in front of the lenses on each laser, or get goggles that will go up to IR?

really? I would never think so. but i havent found many cheap green lasers, thats the thing :/
i dont have a meter. When everything comes in im going to be looking around on the member list to find anybody near me that will hopefully have one

Take a look here for some cheap pens.

You won't see the beam at all with goggles, how are you gonna dodge them? Your only option is to use low power lasers and take extra care.

jArdi

Take a look here for some cheap pens.

You won't see the beam at all with goggles, how are you gonna dodge them? Your only option is to use low power lasers and take extra care.

thats what I thought but the suggestions made me think otherwise.
But thank you, so much. im ordering 4 :)