Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-like OL-CR-250 (250mW 650nm red laser)

BERFIN

Well, I don't trust cheap Lithium batteries from overseas. The 3.7 Volt battery of nominal 1,000 mAh capacity (more than likely about 700-800 mAh in actual) looks ok, but I don't trust it nor do I trust the wall charger that came with it. I took the wall charger apart and looked at its components. They seem decent, but there were no instructions at all on how it operates. So, I got the bright (depends on who you talk to) idea of powering the laser with AA 2,500 mAh NiMH batteries.

The AA 2,500 mAh NiMH batteries that I use in my transmitters for R/C have given me great results and I have a charger that can charge 4 of them within 15 or so minutes. I took a Voltage reading on the stock lithium battery and it was giving me a steady 3.7 Volts. I *believe* these will top-off at about 4.10 Volts? At any rate, I know the AA NiMH batteries peak at about 1.35-1.37 Volts right off of the charger. So, if they settle down as NiMH batteries normally due without load to about 1.3 Volts, then in order to get to 4 Volts, I would need at least 3 of them in series. I decided to go with 4 of them. So, 1.3 Volts x 4 is 5.20 Volts! I am not 100% sure how the clicky-type switch in the back broke from the kit laser, but it did. I went down to Home Depot and picked-up a rod of copper in 1/2" diameter. I cut this to length to fit (tightly) 4 AA batteries in series, making sure the negative end of the "pack" was closest to the laser. I then used some electrical tape to increase the overall diameter of the copper rod to fit very snuggly in the host, while I used an insulated wire with both copper ends exposed as a jumper wire. I confirmed the laser host's casing is negative ground. I rubber banded one end down to the host's exposed aluminum threads, while the other was bent in a "spring manner" to simulate a push button switch at the positive end of the 4S battery "pack". Voila! So far, so good. The laser is very bright. I could see the faint red laser beam outside at night, in a very cold, very clear, dry, full-moon night. Inside, the beam can light-up a room that is dark such that I can use the laser "pen" as a flashlight. I haven't tried burning anything yet, but the beam spread appears to be exceptionally tight at long range outside! Very cool!

Hey have you tested it yet? I was thinking about ordering one but if its anything under 200mw id pass. But how do you like it can it burn?

I am not impressed with this laser's ability to burn darker materials. Even with the stock 3.7 Volt lithium battery, although the laser is quite bright, its burning ability was not impressive. No matter how carefully I focused it, it just did not burn with the speed as the DX or budgetgadgets red ones do on the you tube videos. The laser has a very tight beam and appears to operate at TEM00 with no mode hopping. I have driven this laser past 6.50 input Volts. The beam starts to become visible, even in a brightly lit room, however, the burning power is not at all impressive. I was able to burn (slowly) holes through a fairly thick (black) CD case, but I was not impressed with the speed. I suppose this laser has a lower IR output? From what I have been reading, people have had mixed results with this laser. If I want a visible, bright beam, I would get a green laser at 100 or so mW, but I wanted something for $50 that could burn materials and was willing to accept a less than visible beam. No matter, my budgetgadgets 200 mW 650 nm red laser is on its way. Eventually, I want a green or a blue 200+ mW laser.

I am not impressed with this laser's ability to burn darker materials. Even with the stock 3.7 Volt lithium battery, although the laser is quite bright, its burning ability was not impressive. No matter how carefully I focused it, it just did not burn with the speed as the DX or budgetgadgets red ones do on the you tube videos. The laser has a very tight beam and appears to operate at TEM00 with no mode hopping. I have driven this laser past 6.50 input Volts. The beam starts to become visible, even in a brightly lit room, however, the burning power is not at all impressive. I was able to burn (slowly) holes through a fairly thick (black) CD case, but I was not impressed with the speed. I suppose this laser has a lower IR output? From what I have been reading, people have had mixed results with this laser. If I want a visible, bright beam, I would get a green laser at 100 or so mW, but I wanted something for $50 that could burn materials and was willing to accept a less than visible beam. No matter, my budgetgadgets 200 mW 650 nm red laser is on its way. Eventually, I want a green or a blue 200+ mW laser.

if you want a cheap laser for burning, O-like now sells that same one but 300mW for $60. They also have blu-ray 350mW-400mW ones for $95. I just bought that one and they told me mine was at least 360mW. I am waiting for it to arrive and will do a review on it then. I bought the red 250mW as well. I have a review of it posted. I actually really liked it except the focus ring wasn't very good. I have brought it out in 10-20 degree (F) temps and there is no mode hopping. Mine burns dark colored objects great. At night and in dim rooms (when focused to infinity) the beam is visible. Maybe you got a dud one or it was damaged in shipping (although mine from o-like have always been very well packaged).

Last edited:
yes I want to see beam shots, also, preferably outside, in middle of night ...
I myself will take some after I get mine if no one else will ...
stay tuned .

go to the review in my signature. i should have some on there. If not then there should be a video or two. If still not, i will work on posting some later today.
update: I posted a night beamshot video.

Last edited:
I just got this 300mW red from o-like. First i had a shock moment. The descripton says it is a green Laser. But it was a red inside. After trying this Laser with many different fully charged Batteries, i am not happy at all. The beam is not better visible as my 100mW red. The burning "power" is a little bit better, but really not much. Sad

I just got this 300mW red from o-like. First i had a shock moment. The descripton says it is a green Laser. But it was a red inside. After trying this Laser with many different fully charged Batteries, i am not happy at all. The beam is not better visible as my 100mW red. The burning "power" is a little bit better, but really not much. Sad

I had the same shock when I read that it was a green laser. Try charging the battery, then when it's done, put it directly into the laser and try it again. If that doesn't fix it, you could try contacting O-like and see if you can send it back for a replacement. Your 100mW red may also be very overpowered.

I had the same shock when I read that it was a green laser. Try charging the battery, then when it's done, put it directly into the laser and try it again. If that doesn't fix it, you could try contacting O-like and see if you can send it back for a replacement. Your 100mW red may also be very overpowered.

Maybe, but it is not only that. If the dot is about 3 meters away, there is a thin straight 15 centimeterl ong line across the point. My camera is not able to catch it so i try to show you with a picture.
I expect to much i think. But i hoped the beam is visible. But in a dark room with clear air it is hard to find the line.

Attachments

• image201101010001.jpg
    image201101010001.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 110
Maybe, but it is not only that. If the dot is about 3 meters away, there is a thin straight 15 centimeterl ong line across the point. My camera is not able to catch it so i try to show you with a picture.
I expect to much i think. But i hoped the beam is visible. But in a dark room with clear air it is hard to find the line.

That line is normal with all high powered red lasers. I sometimes use it to help me focus the dot.

That line is normal with all high powered red lasers. I sometimes use it to help me focus the dot.

Is that so ?? It looks ugly.
So, i charged my complete cr123 Batterie collektion. There is no way to light a cigarette. I try it at the most focused spot but there is only a little smoke.
With my other 300mW Laser its easy to light up a zigi.

If i compare this Laser with my others i would say the power is somwhere between 200 and 250mW.

Is that so ?? It looks ugly.
So, i charged my complete cr123 Batterie collektion. There is no way to light a cigarette. I try it at the most focused spot but there is only a little smoke.
With my other 300mW Laser its easy to light up a zigi.

If i compare this Laser with my others i would say the power is somwhere between 200 and 250mW.

The only way to tell if it is underpowered is with a lpm.
Maybe you got a bad one? I don't know; but you could try contacting O-like to get a replacement.

I will sell it to a friend and order one from a Laserbuilder here.
If i order a Laser i know + / - what i can expect from it. If its not doing what i expect a LPM can change nothing. Ok, i can only act like this because i can always easy sell it to someone else.

I will sell it to a friend and order one from a Laserbuilder here.
If i order a Laser i know + / - what i can expect from it. If its not doing what i expect a LPM can change nothing. Ok, i can only act like this because i can always easy sell it to someone else.

Just make sure if you sell it that the person you sell it to should wear safety glasses, especially when burning things.

i have a question..

for all you who ordered this laser, how long does it process before actually shipping?

Thanks

i have a question..

for all you who ordered this laser, how long does it process before actually shipping?

Thanks

It will be about the same amount of time for pretty much any O-like product: about 2-6 days I think. I have bought 3 things from them before. The first was in processing for 5 days, the more recent two were only in processing for 2 days. This specific one for me was the one in processing for 5 days.