Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-like new Crown upgrade 400mW green laser torch/adjustable/waterproof

^^^If you're looking for greater visibility, get the 445nm first.

Next jetlaser GB is going to be september I believe, so still some time left.

(I'm slow tonight, so I better use a quote)
(EDIT yes I had a feeling that 1 more post might sneak in between the one I was referencing)

Yes; agonized over the decision a little (405 vs 445), but back in June I told myself that I would "work myself up by hazard level", thus making the 445nm the LAST laser to get. Perhaps silly... I AM responsible, and I believe I have a healthy respect (fear) of what these things are capable of.

AND... with the 405nm, I can experiment with fluorescence.

A few years ago I was into "B.E.A.M. Robotics", which led to experiments / building "pummers", which led to purchasing a LOT of LEDs, mainly "exotic" wavelengths... I have a BOX full of blue (couple different wavelengths), "aqua" (I.E. "cyan", 2 diff wavelengths, one more "cyan-like" than the other), and U.V. LEDs (my UV LEDs are all 390nm). While I was at it, I bought a lot of black-light paint and black-light *tape*.

Last week I recieved the 3 uranium marbles, and the blacklight pen that I ordered from United Nuclear. In anticipation of getting my first 405nm laser. (The blacklight pen was just a convenient way to check out my marbles. Yes, I know that sounds weird).

Last edited:

@qumefox - I'm pretty sure they would LPM the laser with IR filter if you requested. IMO ir content should never exceed 20% on a more expensive laser. Preferably <10%.

@JBT - I think you'll be surprised about "hazards" when you get your 405nm laser:eg:

Let me put it this way. My 445nm lasers never scorched my ceiling. My 405nm laser did.

IMHO uranium marbles are somewhat over rated. I got three a while back... they just sit in my desk drawer. I think I'll just include them with a future sale or something.

Last edited:
The only problem I see with lazerer is that their 'guaranteed' power on DPSS lasers includes the IR and they even say this.. So 300mW of that 500mW could be IR and it'd still be 'up to spec' as far as they're concerned. I'd be happier seeing guaranteed minimum green powers, even if they were lower, than I am with seeing 'guaranteed total powers' Since the IR is pretty useless from any standpoint.

You can see their metering from a link in this post:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/review-100mw-grenade-532-lazerer-65755.html#post945157

It looks like they at least REPORT to you (the customer) the output before/after IR filtering.

Maybe further reviews will firm up (or lower) expectations.

(@ I.E.); Yes; I understand from learning from forum posts that in general, 405s are "better burners" than 445s. AND more materials will absorb from 405s (or more specifically, it isn't always clear *until you try it* that a material will absorb from a 405). I guess it is the total output from 445s that scare me a little. Although, the radiation from a 405 is also a scary thought. Suntanned retinas.

I will be getting the 405 *bundle* with safety goggles.

Already posted in some thread or other... but I've prepared what I think is a relatively safe indoor backdrop for 405/445; a brick with a 3 inch x 3 inch black square on it. The top layer is a THICK layer of "lampblack" from holding a candle to the brick (over and over and over again). It is VERY black and VERY matte with NO gloss. It absorbs 660nm and 532nm real well.

@qumefox - I'm pretty sure they would LPM the laser with IR filter if you requested. IMO ir content should never exceed 20% on a more expensive laser. Preferably <10%.

Should being the key operative there. This is a chinese reseller we're still talking about. After all. No one used to have problems with o-like either.

While I admit that even measuring them at all is a good step in the right direction.. with DPSS.. I don't think the 'advertised power' should have anything to do with IR levels. It should be purely the power of the marketed wavelength. How would you like buying a non-IR filtered 100mW 589nm laser under these same marketing conditions where the 100mW was the 'total' output.. including the IR?

I think if you got one with 50% IR, right now, lazerer might exchange them.. But that could easily change in the future if they start getting stuck with a lot of lasers like this, and their supplier refuses to exchange/credit them either.

Last edited:
^^^I have two green lasers on the way from him. One of the biggest questions for me is how closely my own lpm readings will match up to their readings, and of course IR content for the greens. (My lpm reads within 2mW of what Angelos's reads, so I know it may not be spot on - or his isn't - but close enough imho.)

Maybe I've been lucky, for so far I haven't run across any DPSS with ir content over a third of the total output - and those are pens so not exactly high quality.

I don't know how lazerer.com is going to pull of lpming all lasers. Frankly, if they do, IMO they need to raise prices, I would rather they do that than skimp on service when a bad laser pops up.

Last edited:
I have no shortage of 'cheap' 532's that have >50% IR in the output. There are a LOT of variables that determine how much IR makes it out. They can be working as efficiently as possible and still be putting out buttloads of IR. But usually that's only seen in cheap modules that don't use pump focusing optics.

Like I said.. For DPSS, the advertised powers should *minimums* for the the wavelength your purchasing. Not for IR. If i'm buying a 200mW 532nm laser. I expect it to be putting out 200mW of 532nm. Not 140mW of 532 and 60mW of IR. But unfortunately few chinese vendors can get over the 'bigger number = better' syndrome and actually sell lasers with honestly stated power outputs.

Last edited:
I'm actually quite curious whether it mode hops, and how is it in handling heat, the new host looks a bit bigger so hopefully this means better heat dissipation/heatsinking.

On my old style overspec 400mW the divergence is really quite excellent, but the beam diameter leaves a lot to be desired, and it mode hops a lot.

@wvbrian - To see if it mode hops, defocus it completely and than turn it on, and observe:

Shanghai Dream Lasers Technology - DPSS Green, Blue & Red Lasers, Precision Optics and Crystals

There is a better chart somewhere.... anyway mine usually settles into Tem21, but it's not really an issue when the laser is focused to infinity. Tem00 would be awesome.
@InfinitusEquitas - I defocused it and turned it on, it didn't mode hop, it looked like
TEM00. It warms up pretty good after about 30 to 45 seconds, on the paper that came with it stated the duty cycle was max 60 seconds on and 120 seconds off. I wouldn't want to leave it on for 2 minutes continuously. It's hella bright (about 3 times brighter than my 1W Arctic). The divergence was good and its burns like crazy, very pleased. I'm just a little worried about the IR though.

@InfinitusEquitas - I defocused it and turned it on, it didn't mode hop, it looked like
TEM00. It warms up pretty good after about 30 to 45 seconds, on the paper that came with it stated the duty cycle was max 60 seconds on and 120 seconds off. I wouldn't want to leave it on for 2 minutes continuously. It's hella bright (about 3 times brighter than my 1W Arctic). The divergence was good and its burns like crazy, very pleased. I'm just a little worried about the IR though.

Hmm, Tem00, that's really excellent:D

Shame that they haven't really addressed the heat issue though. I've left mine on for 90 seconds. I know member RA_Pierce left his running for 4 minutes without a problem, but personally I also like to stick to 1 minute with mine. IR can be very tricky with dpss lasers, I've been pretty lucky myself. My laser has less than 10% ir which imo is acceptable, but it can vary greatly.

Thanks for the info, I'm curious, a bit new but from my understanding if it doesn't have IR filter .. isn't alot of that power IR and not green? .. idk

I'm looking at same laser but also don't wanna get the goggles for it if its still emmitting IR, kinda pointless.. again idk

Cool thx guys.. been talking to Susie. I might order one with the custom ir filter.