Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-Like charger/battery problem

Hi,
I am hoping you can help me with a problem with my just received O-like Power Rock 200mW green laser:

I put the cell (UltraFire 3.7V 18680) into the laser and nothing happened (+ side towards tail cap). Trying to charge it with the included charger didn't help - the indicator of the charger switches to green the moment I plug it in (even without a battery inserted) and there is no reaction when I put in the battery - still a solid green light. I left it in for an hour and it doesn't get warm.
Since I am in Europe and the included charger is for US plugs I have to use an adapter - could that be the problem? Or is the battery and/or charger simply broken? Any advice on how to proceed and how to determine which of the items is actually dead (I just hope the laser isn't DOA -.-)?

Any input is appreciated!

Image of charger/battery/adapter:
charger.jpg

When you plug the charger, it is normal that the light is green.

When you put the battery in the charger, the light turns red, unless the battery is fully charged, aprox. 4.2V.

From what you say could be the fault of the battery.

I do not believe that the laser and the charger is damaged at the same time.

Check the voltage of your battery with a multimeter.

jimdt7

I think i know what the problem is, i have had this with my o-like charger also.
The problem is that one of the charger's leg isn't making contact with the battery,
so i put a small magnet between the battery and the charger ;)

Jim

^^ Yeah, maybe, but the strange thing is that the laser does not work anything,
usually the batteries come with some charge in, but hey, anything is possible.

Ah, yes, good idea, thanks. I borrowed one of these and the battery reads zero (tested the device with another battery to make sure it works). Looks like its dead alright - or completely empty.
Since they aren't that many of the 18650 available in my area: do you have any experience with this one (next to the UltraFire, it's the only one being sold it seems): EagleTac Li-Ion 18650, 2400 mAh

Contact: interesting, I'll test it (it really looks like that the upper leg is somewhat bent)

thanks!

If the battery has no voltage, is dead.

I have no experience with this brand of batteries, but I do not think it's worse than the UltraFire, because these UltraFire batteries are very bad.

Where do you live?

I tried the the mentioned trick by squeezing a piece of copper between battery and contacts - no luck.
Just to be sure I measured the charger and it puts out 4.2V without a battery inserted - with battery, it's flat zero. I am somewhat relieved that it only seems to be the cell.

I'm in Austria (tried to get an 18650 at a media store and the guy looked at the battery as if it was from Mars) - disregarding places with too long a delivery time I could get a "H2Ole" and the aforementioned ones from Amazon.de. Maybe I'll get them all to compare them and post a little review or something.

Thanks for the input - let's hope this remains the only obstacle between me and my first laser :)

jimdt7

I live in Greece, and i have some UltraFire's and some Sanyo's ;)

Jim